Re: No viruses, but web browsing is insanely slow

So what happens if you uninstall your AV?

"Hugh G. Johnson" <HughNOTGNOTJohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I recently put together a new Vista Ult. box. Unfortunately soon after it
got infected with a strain of Vundo, which I think I've erraticated, but
somehow the machine still seems compramised. I can FTP, Email, Telnet with
no problems, but once I open a web browser the wait for pages to load is
painful.

I have ClamWin as my main anti-virus software - I"ve scanned in SAFE MODE
memory and all partitions
And I've ran all these programs in SAFE MODE numerous times to no avail
Spybot S&D
Ad-aware 2007 Free
Super Anti-spyware
Windows Defender
Malicious Software Removal
HijackThis (nothing of concern comes up)
Replaced Hosts file

Soon after I run these programs web browsing is zippy for a little bit,
but then strarts crawling. Images or ads won't load and then pages time
out. I'm not sure what else I can check to see what is going on. Other
machines on same network work fine.

Thanks.

Hugh

  • No viruses, but web browsing is insanely slow
    ... I can FTP, Email, Telnet with no problems, but once I open a web browser the wait for pages to load is painful. ... I have ClamWin as my main anti-virus software - I"ve scanned in SAFE MODE memory and all partitions ... And I've ran all these programs in SAFE MODE numerous times to no avail ... Soon after I run these programs web browsing is zippy for a little bit, ...
  • Re: No viruses, but web browsing is insanely slow
    ... I can FTP, Email, Telnet with no problems, but once I open a web browser the wait for pages to load is painful. ... I have ClamWin as my main anti-virus software - I"ve scanned in SAFE MODE memory and all partitions ... And I've ran all these programs in SAFE MODE numerous times to no avail ... Soon after I run these programs web browsing is zippy for a little bit, ...
  • Re: ssk.exe surfsidekick
    ... you did not have load of 'virii' or 'viri' as there is no such terminolgy. ... It is HIGHLY suggested that you get the administrator password so you can logon in Safe Mode ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ... needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into Safe Mode [F8 key ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virus killed my machine
    ... > just to load up to the desktop. ... > I can however start up in Safe Mode. ... Sysclean - TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which ... Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: ...
  • Re: XP install says no file system on drive, but files are still visible
    ... >> Booting in to safe mode tells me that everything loads fine up to ... I think that's to do with your graphics card in the brown AGP ... >it did not load are a problem. ... Would the install disc refuse to acknowledge the existing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)