Re: McAfee antivirus vista

On Jun 5, 10:48 am, Malke <ma...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
mooky wrote:
I am using AVG 8.0 free antivirus on my Vista laptop...When I went to
the Vista Security center, it said that McAfee antivirus  was on...I
uninstalled it when I 1st got my laptop so I could use AVG free(it was
version 7.5) then....how can McAfee antivirus be on if it's not
installed on my laptop??? I check the add/remove programs, and it
didn't show up...just wondering...doesn't seem like a big deal, but
just making sure..

It is a common issue that Security Center thinks an older antivirus is still
installed. It is particularly common when the older antivirus is an
obnoxious invasive one such as McAfee or Norton. You just need to rebuild
the repository.

Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Type the following
command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail.  It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail.  It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down.  Run the command again and reboot your system.

If the above doesn't work, do the following from an elevated cmd prompt:

net stop winmgmt [enter]
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem [enter]
ren repository repository.old [enter]
net start winmgmt [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computerswww.elephantboycomputers.com

I did the 1st command you typed and the cmd prompt said WMI repository
is consistent....so did it work?

  • Re: McAfee AntiVirus DOS Scan ... for David Lipman
    ... Always happy to discuss the SCAN.EXE utility, the command line scanner, from ... | * What do you think about this and have you ever tried moving the McAfee ... command line scanner is a part of the core technology and is a tool in the arsenal McAfee ... | * I am planning to purchase McAfee AntiVirus 8.0 Enterprise to do more ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: McAfee antivirus vista
    ... the Vista Security center, it said that McAfee antivirus was on...I ... uninstalled it when I 1st got my laptop so I could use AVG free(it was ... Right-click Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. ...
  • McAfee antivirus vista