Re: Complete Antivirus 2008 Removal

RLund wrote:

A few days ago, the Antivirus 2008 pop-up appeared on my friend's new
computer. It stated that he had 41 infections. HIs access to the internet
was blocked, as well.
In order to remove them, he had to pay for the service.
After a bit of research, I discovered that it was a scam and attempted to
remove it from his computer, via standard means (control panel, programs
and
features, uninstall). It appeared that some files were removed, but some
were left behind. Those that remained still indicated that he had 41
infections and blocked his access to the internet, by indicating that the
websites posed a threat.
I found this community and the instructions for removing Antivirus 2008,
through http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/antivirus-2008. I
carefully followed the instructions and ran the scan...to no avail. The

(much snippage)

First have your friend back up his data to external media Just In Case. Then
have him go back to BleepingComputer (or one of the other specialty forums
listed below in no particular order), register, read the posting FAQ, and
post to get guided help. PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42 - another
tutorial
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

  • Re: WARNING, AIDS: Internet a virtual meeing place for homosexuals
    ... to engage in high-risk sexual behaviors that often lead to ... Internet Linked to Some AIDS Spread ... Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston. ... unprotected intercourse with them than they are with partners met ...
    (soc.culture.polish)
  • Re: What is happening?
    ... The internet is being overloaded to the extent that available bandwitdth is ... > bouncing a virus notice back to the orginators of the messages, ... >> that scan incomming for infections, ... >> spammed by the worm AND by mail servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • RE: Update to "Code Red" Worm. Its a date bomb, not time.
    ... everywhere has access to OC12 connections to the internet. ... An easy method would be to break up the estimated 196K infections accross a ... Update to "Code Red" Worm. ... On the 20th all infected threads will attempt to attack ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: no longer true
    ... this is no longer true. ... "The latest Netsky is squirming across the Internet as an email without ... > they still only recognize infections known up until yesterday. ... > malicious trojan horses by their anti-virus scanner. ...
  • Re: Suspect File(s)
    ... The malware seems to have now re-spawned on my main hard drive ... I ran 3 AV progs in safe mode and the majority of the> infections ... And run HijackThis and post the log for it to one of the specialty forums, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)