Re: How to disable Open File - Security Warning dialog box in Windows Vista?

Thanks for the explanation, I kind of figured that it was to protect the user's system, but I still would like to know how to disable this security feature in Vista. Does anyone know? Thanks.

"FromTheRafters" <Erratic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OcHQ0PfvIHA.1688@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"David Ocampo" <daocampo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:58F4B8E4-798B-44C8-B4C2-934F8AB1C395@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Windows Vista Community,

Every time I want to open a .url file using the customized Links menu on the deskbar (channel bar), I get a dialog box with a security
warning message "Do you want to open this file?"

Yeah, that's to make sure the user really meant to ask the
OS to take an action. Kind of like a gun that asks you if
you really want to fire a bullet after you pull the trigger.

It's a safety feature.

How do I disable this security warning dialog box from popping up?

Why would you want to? Just to rid yourself of a minor

I am confident my Avast! virus definitions will detect and intercept any
virus or spyware attached to any url before the file is opened, so I really
don't need this feature, it is annoying.

Relying on AV in this way is doomed to failure. AV and other anti
programs are meant to supplement good computing practices, not
as a substitute for them.

Thanks for any help you can provide as to Vista security settings!

Sorry I'm not being helpful, but I hope in some small way this does
indeed help - though not the way you might have expected.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: How do you do an auto fill in? date, name, abbrvclick to ente
    ... Quick Parts (Autotext) and Autocorrect. ... the Building Blocks feature, which includes numerous galleries of building ... gallery, but I think that this name was included only to help users familiar ... Protect group, click Protect Document, select the protection options that you ...
  • Re: How to control Styles? They seem to propogate like viruses!
    ... > PC Word 2003 contains the ability to Protect the document for Styles, ... We did not get the feature in Word 2004: ... provides super team authoring capabilities, automated version checking, etc. ... software tools, and new opportunities to grumble about them! ...
  • RE: Migrating Forms created in Word 2003 to Word 2007
    ... The form can now be filled in using the Protect ... contact in Outlook, use the mail merge feature there, and select an existing ... Outlook still allows me to merge a contact into my old invoice form, ...
  • mail merge and forms
    ... to be inserted which are useless to put in the database. ... merge feature to propogate the basic info. ... >The problem is that the in the merged document, ... mail merge feature and also protect the document (as far ...
  • Re: DEP on Windows XP SP2
    ... It protect against basic stack ... NXBit is a copy from Solar Designer, ... you are not protected against high-level-overflow like the heap overflow ... > feature, and little to no solid documentation about anything. ...