Re: antivirus install problems

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:40:00 -0700, Ed wrote:

Thanks Mick,
That's what I was afraid of. They came out with a patch for Win2k and XP,
but I don't think they support that program anymore.

That's correct, support has ceased.

If you prefer CA try this:
1 year FREE trial of CA Anti-Virus (May 2008)
http://home3.ca.com/SubscriptCenter/MSTrialRegistration.aspx?cid=573

But *better* alternatives are these:
Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

and (optional but highly recommendable)

On-demand AV applications.
(add them to your arsenal and use them as a "second opinion" av scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
and/or
BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-8-Free-Edition.html

  • RE: Excel 97 hang with Windows 2003 file server
    ... troubleshoot. ... You can disable any anti-virus for testing purpose. ... Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy. ... >I have windows server 2003 as file server and DC. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: IStore not start!!!
    ... For instance this is an upgrade from E2k to E2k3 and the AV ... You may want to first try disabling your anti-virus in the registry ... Microsoft Exchange Support ... Please do not send email directly to this alias. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.information.store)
  • Re: Norton Anti virus 2008
    ... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund: ... Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus ... (Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.) ... Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free ...
  • Re: Please Help
    ... I need a free online anti-virus. ... Please recommend one. ... Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • RE: Windows 2003 Problem with CA Anti-Virus
    ... since the issue happens due to third party application CA Anti-Virus, ... each product has its own knowledge base and support team to ... to Microsoft Windows SBS Server, we are not professional in CA Anti-Virus ... PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)