Re: Shared Vs NTFS Security

On 09/02/2010 19:12, Buck Turgidson wrote:
Believe me, I am all for figuring things out. But when a question is
vaguely worded, it is difficult. The NTFS permissions are more restrictive
in this case, and will narrow the share permissions.

I guess the loophole is if another folder is added to the share.

I'll be nice and explain it:

The question isn't vaguely worded if you look at the requirements. I can't be bothered to type them out so I'll just refer to them as 1, 2 and 3:

Requirement 3 is the key one in this case. Because Sales and Marketing have full NTFS permissions on their respective folders, and Authenticated Users have full control of the share, Sales and Marketing will therefore be able to modify NTFS permissions on the files in their folders.

Reducing the share permissions to Change instead of Full Control will allow the Sales and Marketing groups to create/modify/delete files in their respective folders (satisfying requirements 1 and 2), but not change the NTFS permissions even though they have Full Control over the folder (satisfying requirement 3)

Stop using the braindumps and spend more time on the newsgroups asking questions, it'll probably be more beneficial :-)

--
Chris M.
MBCS CITP

  • Re: how do i stop one user accessing certain files in XP
    ... you should protect your files by using NTFS permissions on your private ... folders... ... user "yourusername" and give yourself Full control. ... > has access to all the files on the hard disk and i am ...
  • Re: Limit user access to server
    ... > administrator access to the server. ... > group permissions from the folders that you want to control access to OR ... > change the ntfs permissions of the users group and user account ... > Policies can also be used to restrict what applications a user can install ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Cannot share system folder
    ... > I set, on a Win XP Home computer, the complete C drive to ... it will use the NTFS permissions to block shared acess to certain folders. ... Simple File Sharing is enabled all the time. ... And it 'shields' you from the big bad NTFS permissions (security tab. ...
  • Re: W2K3 and workgroup shares
    ... system that lacks features that provide secure network access in XP ... guest access for network shares on an XP Home computer. ... around that by modifying ntfs permissions on the XP Home computer folders where you ...
  • Re: Folders and files security
    ... analysis with the users and then predefine directories for the main ... the NTFS permissions and their naviagating the User object picker. ... > I am running a Win2K Server with a few WinXP Pro clients. ... > I want to enable the end users to assign permissions on folders they will ...
    (microsoft.public.security)