Re: Administrative shares

1. If its not domain enviroment
a. Logon to the computer(server) where you have created Shared Folder with admin account.
b. See the Shared Permission (everyone or Authenticated users) and then see Security Tab.
c. In Security Tab, see if the full access assigned to Administrators group
d. All users accounts must be created on the server (XP machine in your case)

Now when users try to connect to the shared folder they need to give credential like this servername\username and type the same password as you created in server. It should work.

2. If you are in Domain
a. Logon to the computer(server) where you have created Shared Folder with admin account.
b. See the Shared Permission (everyone or Authenticated users) and then see Security Tab.
c. In Security Tab, see if the full access assigned to Administrators group
d. Make sure that users (domain account) are member of Local Administrators group

Now the users try to connect to shared folder, it should not ask for credential if all are in same domain, still you can pass credential as domainname\username and password.

Let me know if it works

thanks

rahisuddin shah

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OtCv5bxWKHA.1372@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John Smith" <jbloggs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:At6dnU8v88NtBXDXnZ2dnUVZ7vSdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OwXEeanWKHA.844@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John Smith" <jbloggs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:zt-dnfOifOVPbXfXnZ2dnUVZ8l-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have shared a couple of drives administratively so they can be accessed by \\server\drive$. On connection I am asked for a password. The server is a windows XP Professional computer.

<snip>

responds with server\<username> and <password> (obscured) as though the account is no good.

I don't understand what you mean by obscured. If the password is displayed as asterisks when you type it, that is normal behaviour.

Yes, but I did not think it was normal for users who were administrators to be refused connection.

That is fair enough, however, saying the password is "obscured" "as though the account is no good" is not as good a description of the problem as just saying "I did not think it was normal for users who were administrators to be refused connection.".

I cannot set permissions on the shared drive as it says that the permissions are not available as the drive has been shared administratively.

Any idea how I can allow other administrator user accounts to connect to this shared drive?

That is how it is supposed to work by default, and I have never had a problem with this. That said, we have a domain environment.

It is not a problem really as there are other ways around it. I was just querying why can only the built in Administrator account have access, but not computer user accounts who are administrators.

Well, since all administrative access on the systems I work with is granted to the local administrators group rather than to the administrator account, and any account in administrators has full administrative access, I can only conclude that there is something wrong with how your systems are configured.

/Al

.