Re: Administrative shares

1. If its not domain enviroment
a. Logon to the computer(server) where you have created Shared Folder with admin account.
b. See the Shared Permission (everyone or Authenticated users) and then see Security Tab.
c. In Security Tab, see if the full access assigned to Administrators group
d. All users accounts must be created on the server (XP machine in your case)

Now when users try to connect to the shared folder they need to give credential like this servername\username and type the same password as you created in server. It should work.

2. If you are in Domain
a. Logon to the computer(server) where you have created Shared Folder with admin account.
b. See the Shared Permission (everyone or Authenticated users) and then see Security Tab.
c. In Security Tab, see if the full access assigned to Administrators group
d. Make sure that users (domain account) are member of Local Administrators group

Now the users try to connect to shared folder, it should not ask for credential if all are in same domain, still you can pass credential as domainname\username and password.

Let me know if it works

thanks

rahisuddin shah

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OtCv5bxWKHA.1372@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John Smith" <jbloggs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:At6dnU8v88NtBXDXnZ2dnUVZ7vSdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OwXEeanWKHA.844@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John Smith" <jbloggs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:zt-dnfOifOVPbXfXnZ2dnUVZ8l-dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have shared a couple of drives administratively so they can be accessed by \\server\drive$. On connection I am asked for a password. The server is a windows XP Professional computer.

<snip>

responds with server\<username> and <password> (obscured) as though the account is no good.

I don't understand what you mean by obscured. If the password is displayed as asterisks when you type it, that is normal behaviour.

Yes, but I did not think it was normal for users who were administrators to be refused connection.

That is fair enough, however, saying the password is "obscured" "as though the account is no good" is not as good a description of the problem as just saying "I did not think it was normal for users who were administrators to be refused connection.".

I cannot set permissions on the shared drive as it says that the permissions are not available as the drive has been shared administratively.

Any idea how I can allow other administrator user accounts to connect to this shared drive?

That is how it is supposed to work by default, and I have never had a problem with this. That said, we have a domain environment.

It is not a problem really as there are other ways around it. I was just querying why can only the built in Administrator account have access, but not computer user accounts who are administrators.

Well, since all administrative access on the systems I work with is granted to the local administrators group rather than to the administrator account, and any account in administrators has full administrative access, I can only conclude that there is something wrong with how your systems are configured.

/Al

  • Re: Event ID: 1202
    ... No mapping between account names and security IDs was ... SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege = Administrators ... "Meinolf Weber" wrote: ... A user account in one or more Group policy objects (GPOs) could not ...
  • Re: Rid AD of Circular Group Membership
    ... I'll try to keep this going; because it might be useful to another admin ... The quess is each has an account and uses it, ... part of stations) into the machine local Administrators group. ... Administrators Group has a members: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Event ID: 1202
    ... No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. ... User Rights configuration completed with error. ... SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege = Administrators ... unresolvable account exists only in one GPO. ...
  • Re: Program Problems for non-administrators
    ... The user cant burn CDs because the media player absolutely wont function in her account but switch it to an administrator and all is well. ... User accounts will say they have an older version of a program but the administrators account says everything is up to speed. ... Quite simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry or protected Windows system folders. ... you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in the user profilein which you'd like the software to be accessible. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to prevent ownership change by users with admin rights?
    ... I also have my private account on the ... > other private account is a member of the "Administrators" group. ... > I have created a private folder on the machine that has its security ...