Re: Virus Scanning Busy Web Server

Brock,
I think this is a fault, rather than your AV settings.
If you don't mind experimenting, try taking McAfee off; you can either leave it off for a while, or install a different AV.
If its an AV fault then I think you will need to take it up with McAfee (try different patch levels etc)
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.com

"Brock Hensley" <Brock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1C5A2CCF-22D5-4342-97A0-EB5B6E1EF60F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have configured the on-access scanner with minimal options; checking only files on Write as well.

Yes, the actual McAfee process doesn't pass 25% CPU, however, when OAS is enabled, several application pools start using the rest of the CPU, causing 100% pegged CPU. These site's are probably just writing more, but I'm not sure why the application pool is affected rather than McAfee.

--
Brock Hensley
http://BHensley.com
"Anthony [MVP]" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7AEC6735-7A71-43D4-ADE6-5828FC8EFE72@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Brock,
McAfee should not be running at 100% even if the server is heavily used, so maybe the problem is not the settings.
You'd expect the server to have very few writes, so it should be possible to set the on-access scanner to scan on writes and not reads; but I don't think that should be necessary,
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.com

"Brock Hensley" <Brock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ED4AD753-EC43-4CCD-B1EA-88627FC6A500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We have McAfee Enterprise v8.7i installed on a Win2k3 STD 32bit Web Server.

I've been playing around with the On-Access Scanner settings to try to get the virus scanner to scan files only when being written to, but no matter what settings I adjust, it seems the web server just has too much going on for McAfee not to run at 100% CPU to monitor all the changing files.

My question is, what are the essential/best Anti-Virus settings for busy web servers?

Should I just monitor the C: system drive, or the D: data drive?
Should I worry more about changing files on the C:\WINDOWS folder vs the D:\Inetpub folder?
Should I exclude Temp folders? (or is this a prime spot for viruses to create themselves?)

Thanks for any input in advance,
--
Brock Hensley
http://BHensley.com

  • Re: Virus Scanning Busy Web Server
    ... I have configured the on-access scanner with minimal options; checking only files on Write as well. ... Yes, the actual McAfee process doesn't pass 25% CPU, however, when OAS is enabled, several application pools start using the rest of the CPU, causing 100% pegged CPU. ... I've been playing around with the On-Access Scanner settings to try to get the virus scanner to scan files only when being written to, but no matter what settings I adjust, it seems the web server just has too much going on for McAfee not to run at 100% CPU to monitor all the changing files. ...
  • Re: SBSServer processes Port 80 blocked
    ... settings and auth provided for the AutoUpdate client). ... McAfee autoupdate client used HTTP port 80 to downlad the latest update ... He is in the BackOffice internet ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: unable to send email. outlook 2002
    ... I called Charter (my ISP) yesterday. ... confirmed their server is running. ... We also checked all settings on my ... I did try disabling the firewall and McAfee too, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: OE e-mail account settings problem
    ... as I wanted to 'dump' his present A/V ... When your friend's trial McAfee period is over,, suggest to ... I checked it's settings also, and tried disabling it as well ...
  • Re: microsoft update not working
    ... You should have downloaded/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before you installed the Comcast's Norton Security Suite freebie. ... Assuming the McAfee freebie from ATT had been working properly & effectively protecting your computer, the infection might have started while you still had the McAfee app installed but were no longer an ATT subscriber. ... i uninstalled internet explorer 8 and then reinstalled it. ... Please change your Internet Explorer security settings ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)