Re: Virus Scanning Busy Web Server

Brock,
McAfee should not be running at 100% even if the server is heavily used, so maybe the problem is not the settings.
You'd expect the server to have very few writes, so it should be possible to set the on-access scanner to scan on writes and not reads; but I don't think that should be necessary,
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.com

"Brock Hensley" <Brock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ED4AD753-EC43-4CCD-B1EA-88627FC6A500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We have McAfee Enterprise v8.7i installed on a Win2k3 STD 32bit Web Server.

I've been playing around with the On-Access Scanner settings to try to get the virus scanner to scan files only when being written to, but no matter what settings I adjust, it seems the web server just has too much going on for McAfee not to run at 100% CPU to monitor all the changing files.

My question is, what are the essential/best Anti-Virus settings for busy web servers?

Should I just monitor the C: system drive, or the D: data drive?
Should I worry more about changing files on the C:\WINDOWS folder vs the D:\Inetpub folder?
Should I exclude Temp folders? (or is this a prime spot for viruses to create themselves?)

Thanks for any input in advance,
--
Brock Hensley
http://BHensley.com

  • Re: SBS Add User wizard problem
    ... It turned out that the reason was script's folder ... The rest of settings are ok (it means they are like You said they ... Say I have a script on server which checks every 15 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: W2008: new location for folder redirection does not work
    ... So you would have a clean profile with the correct settings in the profiles folder. ... server though the domain name was the same as before. ... including finding a way how to export/import all the users on clients. ...
  • Re: W2008: new location for folder redirection does not work
    ... server though the domain name was the same as before. ... it and all the users kept their program settings locally. ... including finding a way how to export/import all the users on clients. ... and Settings folder) to the new folder in Documents and Settings, ...
  • Re: unable to send email. outlook 2002
    ... I called Charter (my ISP) yesterday. ... confirmed their server is running. ... We also checked all settings on my ... I did try disabling the firewall and McAfee too, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Documents & Settings - Users
    ... > when I installed a local server in my home office. ... > that I have approximately 2.5G of data in the Local Settings folder ... > Microsoft folder. ... I no longer log in on that account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)