Re: most common reasons Windows servers are unpatched?

"Bennett Haselton" <bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:f9a9c62f-33e1-4f78-88d2-cf4d34e7ecc4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Given the number of worms like Conficker that are based on known
exploits and don't work against machines with the latest security
patches installed, what do you think are the most common reasons that
PCs aren't patched?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/19/conficker_worm_feed/
says that according to a security firm that scanned hundreds of
thousands of PCs in January (with permission, I assume), about 30% of
machines scanned had not applied the emergency out-of-band issued by
Microsoft in October, and the firm estimated that it was due to "slow-
vulnerability patching cycles in enterprise users".

Is it just because people are afraid of their machines getting hosed
by the updates:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/131770-1/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws
that so many people have them disabled, including server
administrators? Or have they turned off automatic updates by
accident? (This seems unlikely, because you have to be reasonably
proficient to find the option in Control Panel to turn off automatic
updates.) Or is there some other reason?

Bennett

That particular patch brought down my entire domain.

  • Re: MC and others agree to pay for extended updates.
    ... Cutting so many people from any security regarding their computers is ... Microsoft should be sued and sentenced dor FRAUD in organized gang. ... stealing them the security of their machines ... MS to pay for extended secuirty updates for XP, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Sound after upgrade to 11.1
    ... Security updates are not left in by accident. ... The kernel, KDE, ... different people have different reasons to upgrade. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Seeking MVP advice on SP2
    ... Most do not have issues with any of the applications on that list. ... Outlook and others probably have updates. ... > I am currently running three machines on my home network through a ... > sloppy or uninformed regarding security programs or settings on a PC ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • most common reasons Windows servers are unpatched?
    ... exploits and don't work against machines with the latest security ... what do you think are the most common reasons that ... machines scanned had not applied the emergency out-of-band issued by ... Or have they turned off automatic updates by ...
  • Re: Unable to change the Security Settings In Internet Explorer
    ... I would first update the image with any Windows Updates ... can't on the newer machines. ... MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User) ... that disables these settings. ...