Re: Change Administrator SID

Hi,

I will explain what happened.
One administrator created an account. Deleted the administrator account and
then renamed that account to administrator. Now the server does not consider
that user as an administrator possibly because it's SID is not the one an
administrator should have.

I need to reset the SID OR recreate the administrator user.

Sunil Sunder Raj

Al Dunbar wrote:
I'm puzzled too. By definition, *the* administrator account is the one with
a particular SID. If an account called "Administrator" has a different SID,
that might be explained by someone having renamed the Administrator account
to something else, and then renaming some other account (perhaps a guest
account) as "Administrator". In some circles this is considered a best
practice in order to try to hide the identity of the administrator account.

If it is as the OP states that the SID of the admin account has been
changed, I would be concerned that this might interfere with the stability
of the system in some way.

/Al

Hello Sunil,

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
administrator user. I suppose I need to edit the Sam database. Any
hints ?

  • Re: EFS on crashed OS
    ... when the client logs on (user account was ... Under the new instance of Windows, import the EFS certificate that should've ... They got a new SID in the new instance ... use the Administrator account to take ownership and then give ownership ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Process running under Adminstrator account
    ... I did not realize the SID was all that was needed. ... start with "administrator" and a dictionary or other attack? ... would not the changing of the admin name help? ... Renaming the account does not change the SID. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... Did you check the Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Administrator account? ... what policy do you have? ... referencing the former administrator account. ...