Re: Open certain port on a Windows2000 server

Benny,
When you say random, I assume you mean a specific port but not 443.
You could just use a browser and go to http://server:[port no.] or https://server:[port no.]
Anthony,
http://www.airdesk.com

"Benny Van" <fyf5555841@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:814b9dd5-6c03-4752-bfbf-f320dae4aa0a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All,

We had a customized BI web tool need to assign a random port for SSL
access. And according to vendor doc, by modifying several xml file,
that will work. We did. However, later we found out we could only
access it through normal HTTP, https not work at all. Tried both
internally and externally. That makes me know that it has nothing to
do with our firewall rules...(we added the rule to allow that port
communication through firewall), since it also failed internally I
pretty much sure it still has something to do with our server settings
or config.

So my question is , on my WIn2000 server, how do I know exactly if a
port is opened for listening incoming traffic. Since Win2000 had no
built in firewall, I assumed, all ports are opened by default right? I
ran a netstat command to see all the opened ports...I mean I could see
a list of famous ports wating, listening or established connection.
What about other ports? Are they in Stealth mode or something like
that? I did not see the port I would like to open listed there...How
could I make that port listen for incoming traffic?Or how do I trigger
it open?

Thanks guys!!!!

Ben

  • Re: What is the trick to get Windows XP firewall to stay on (after a reboot)?
    ... > While I did not explicitly state that the EPRT and PORT commands reached ... > Windows Firewall did not start a listen according to netstat -a and Port ... So, while a proxy would result in a new listening socket, a firewall does ... client sending a PORT command that it has chosen to send. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is the trick to get Windows XP firewall to stay on (after a reboot)?
    ... > While I did not explicitly state that the EPRT and PORT commands reached ... > Windows Firewall did not start a listen according to netstat -a and Port ... So, while a proxy would result in a new listening socket, a firewall does ... client sending a PORT command that it has chosen to send. ...
  • Re: What is the trick to get Windows XP firewall to stay on (after a reboot)?
    ... > While I did not explicitly state that the EPRT and PORT commands reached ... > Windows Firewall did not start a listen according to netstat -a and Port ... So, while a proxy would result in a new listening socket, a firewall does ... client sending a PORT command that it has chosen to send. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: What is the trick to get Windows XP firewall to stay on (after a reboot)?
    ... > While I did not explicitly state that the EPRT and PORT commands reached ... > Windows Firewall did not start a listen according to netstat -a and Port ... So, while a proxy would result in a new listening socket, a firewall does ... client sending a PORT command that it has chosen to send. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Best Plan of action for 2 forest.......
    ... PortQry reports the status of a port in one of the following ways: ... ..LISTENING This response indicates that a process is listening on the target ...