Re: Workstation Authentication

Thanks

Our domain name is 0123456789ABCDEFGH.COM

When we enter that name, our DC will come back with the account found was
0123456789ABCDE

Last last 3 characters and the .com are left off.

I assumed this might be a NetBIOS or WINS shortened name the server is
using. Quite often, the DC seems to use the terms interchangeably. I most
often try to join the domain using the longname, but have found that
sometimes it will respond that the longname was not found and suggests says
that the short name was found and asks if I want to use that. If I say yes
and proceed, it joins me to the domain using the short name.

I hope this helps.

"S. Pidgorny <MVP>" <slavickp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OgdeiJyNIHA.484@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please elaborate?

Your domain is 0123456789ABCDEFzz.com, and you see workstations using 0123456789ABCDE.com? Where?

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

* http://sl.mvps.org * http://msmvps.com/blogs/sp *

"ChuckN" <Chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:218EC512-AEE5-4FE8-BB05-9370A0C1A8B3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have not been able to understand how W2K3 Server Enterprise uses domain names.

Our domain name is an 18 character.com name. I noticed that often, only the first 15 characters are used, excluding the last three characters + the .com.

Usually the names are used interchangeably. Once in awhile, that does not seem to be the case.

When I authenticate as the shorter name, the server seems to automatically use the longer name.

I always assumed that the shorter name goes back to an older version of Microsoft that may not have allowed longer domain names.

Is there a potential problem using the names interchangeably?

Thanks for your help.

  • Re: A question about some abbreviations
    ... link to another website at the bottom of the emoticons webpage... ... Not all emoticons are used in Usenet (some of the emoticons ... addresses that are 3,000 characters long (OK... ... website that converts long-ish links to shorter links to have a short ...
    (rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs)
  • Re: A question about some abbreviations
    ... link to another website at the bottom of the emoticons webpage... ... Not all emoticons are used in Usenet (some of the emoticons ... addresses that are 3,000 characters long (OK... ... website that converts long-ish links to shorter links to have a short ...
    (rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs)
  • Re: A single SUMPRODUCT Excel formula cover four worksheets
    ... You don't need parenthesis around the A:A references. ... This will reduce the formula down by 8 characters. ... Which are actually 12 characters shorter. ... Microsoft Excel MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
  • Re: Bring back Hitch
    ... the characters, and he says that he wants to take Reed back to the ... days when he was more than just the brains of the operation, ... slightly shorter than everyone else. ... I would still put Reed at the top, power wise, as he more ...
    (rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe)
  • Re: Perl Chain Gang
    ... I like perl golf, me. ... However, && is shorter still: ... My answer is 22 characters longer than the version in answer 2, ... Earth calling Abigail, earth calling Abigail, do you read me? ...
    (rec.puzzles)