Re: Block Unauthorized Computer

Jeff et al,

Giving the reservation did not work as the server nixed reserving an IP
address outside the scope pool of addresses.

How did you apply a bad DNS to a single M<AC address??

dave

"Jeff Jones" <noway@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Dave Mackler" <dmackler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks to all for the suggestions and insight. I believe this is simply
somehome bringing in a home computer with no malicious intent. The
simple first try, as suggested in responses, is to make a reservation for
the MAC address with an out-of-range IP.

Same situation I had the other day. One comment, make sure the
reservation also gives them a "bad" DNS. I did have a chat, and explained
the next time there supervisor would be informed. It's a small company,
and some flexibility is allowed in handling such situations.

Jeff

Thanks to all, interesting thread.

dave Admin

"Dave Mackler" <dmackler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
My servers are Server 2003, SP2. I have DHCP running well. I noticed a
computer name in the Address list of the DHCP server that is not a
computer that belongs to our company. All I have is the computer name
and MAC address, which DHCP catches.

How can I block or prohibit this computer from getting an IP address or
from using our network for whatever purpose??

dave Admin

  • Re: Block Unauthorized Computer
    ... first try, as suggested in responses, is to make a reservation for the MAC ... computer name in the Address list of the DHCP server that is not a ...
  • Re: Block Unauthorized Computer
    ... purpose - creating reservations and using all the IPs in the small scope for ... Giving the reservation did not work as the server nixed reserving an IP ... a computer name in the Address list of the DHCP server that is not a ...
  • Re: DHCP reservation question/problem
    ... How are your DSL and T1 connected to the network? ... On my SBS I am running the DHCP server. ... and if the reservation was already setup it works. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to restrict Internet access for certain PCs to certain web sites?
    ... >>Your typical garden varity NAt software or harware appliance, ... >>largest of corporations can afford systems sophisticated enough for DHCP ... or even the freebee router from Comcast, The DHCP server had reservation ... I think at some point some place I have seen a DHCP server ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • DHCP reservation question/problem
    ... On my SBS I am running the DHCP server. ... In there I setup a super scope. ... The 10.0.1.x network is for the phones and all that traffic ... and if the reservation was already setup it works. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)