Re: Adding multiple entries for the same user with xcacls...

This post gave me a horrible case of tunnel vision. I was following
documented procedures in an attempt to automate. After stepping back and
asking why the procedures were documented this way, I realized what I am
asking can be acomplished in another way. The shock of realizing what I am
asking for is not supported made me question why I was attempting something
in the first place. I now understand why. There is a specific access
setting for "subfolders and files" regardless of the scope or "onto
property" of the object, this accomplishes what I wanted. It still asks the
question of how to add the same user or group twice with different scope or
"on to" permissions, but at this moment, I think I have my resolution.
Thank you again Roger.

"Condiment" <condiment@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I am trying to say "grant specific security for GoupA to Subfolders and
files only" and "grant specific security for GroupA to This folder only".
I guess this is just not possible with xcacls. I really appreciate your
response and understand that my responses are teetering on the edge of
annoying at this point. I can tell you with all honesty I have read the -?
command a dozen times and you are the only one responding, so thank you
once again. If you know of any way to ADD a user or group twice with
different security, that would help me a tremendously.

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
It you are using /g for Principal with the /e switch it should
update the existing ACE/ACEs for Principal. If it can do
this by modifying the existing ACE/ACEs without adding
another, that would be expected.
You are apparently saying
ACE/ACEs before use of /g /e
+ intended grant via /g /e
does not equal ACE/ACEs for Principal afterwards.
??

"Condiment" <condiment@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I think I am still missing something.

Even running /E it still updates the existing entry instead of creating
a new one (different /SPEC syntax for each) for the group that I am
granting permissions to. Any ideas what I am misisng here?

"Condiment" <condiment@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Roger,
Thank you a million times. I briefly attempted the /E switch, but
when I received a syntax error, I just assumed I was heading down the
wrong path.

been there , guessing of syntax

What I failed to realize is that /E can be used with /G. You rock.

:)

Thank you again.

To you too - :)

--
ra

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
You appear to be overlooking the /e switch, which mean Edit the
existing grants for the principal rather than replacing them