Re: DHCP Restrictions

"Matt Setters" <mattsetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%234zmbHrrHHA.500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is it at all possible to get windows server 2003 to actively refuse a
client
machine that isnt connected to the DC

What do you mean by "connected to the DC"? We don't have any machines
connected to our DC, they are all connected to our LAN - as is the DC. If
you mean that you want to prevent computers connecting with wireless NICs,
you will have to replace any wireless components with wired equivalents.

Or perhaps, do you mean that you want only domain member computers to be
able to get DHCP addresses? I'm not sure how you would do that, as even the
domain members will need to acquire an IP address before they can be
recognized as domain members.

for example we have a sbs 2003 server
with dhcp so we have 8 computers on the domain and have usergate proxy
server installed also. the issue is what can be done with either the
existing os or 3rd party software to stop people plugging in a laptop that
registers with dhcp and allows them internet access. I must find a way to
sort this as i have so many non domain listed laptops within the DHCP list
that shouldnt be there so i guess what im getting at is, is there a way
for
DHCP to disallow either certain ip's or non domain computers?

DHCP couldn't disallow devices with certain IP addresses because its job is
to give out IP addresses to devices it differentiates by their mac
addresses. I would think that perhaps you need a firewall that can filter by
MAC address, refusing all but those devices that you have registered.

/Al

  • Re: problem after adding second network card
    ... Until yesterday we were running via 1 NIC in the server that was connected ... The other computers were directly connected to the router too. ... turned off in the router and the server had DHCP running. ... server was connecting to the internet on the same NIC as the one connected ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: problem after adding second network card
    ... Until yesterday we were running via 1 NIC in the server that was connected ... The other computers were directly connected to the router too. ... turned off in the router and the server had DHCP running. ... server was connecting to the internet on the same NIC as the one connected ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Vista Wireless Disaster - LImited Connectivity
    ... This means that your laptop isn't getting an IP address through DHCP from ... Go through the process of "connecting" to the wireless LAN including setting ... assigned computers aren't currently connected or turned on or ..... ... decrease the lease time of the DHCP addresses. ...
  • Re: Two Routers, One NAT
    ... which I will call router "A" ... "wireless HUB only" by connecting one of its LAN ports (instead of the ... B's DHCP, but also the two computers which are connected to the router ...
  • What has control of my PCs?
    ... Make sure all the network settings for each computer ... Flush the DNS settings on the computers that don't work ... Reboot your cable modem to reassign ip addresses ... I also tried directly connecting one PC to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)