Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working

"J" <Jnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for your response.

You're welcome, but it looks as if you found your own answer!

/Al

The solution: RDP connectiod: Local Resources: enable Drives

As usual, always something invisible by being obvious.

"Al Dunbar" <AlanDrub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"J" <Jnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Still not working.

I created a new user on the XP box, set as an administrator

this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the
local administrator's group on that workstation.

I created a new user on the W2k3 box, added to the administrators group

This other new user account, is it local to the w2k3 box, or is it a
domain account? Has it been added to the administrators group local to
the w2k3 box, or to the "domain admins" group?

I added the new user to the security tab of the shared documents folder,
giving the user full control

Which new user, the xp one or the w2k3 one? I assume that the shared
documents folder is a folder on the w2k3 system - correct?

I then logged onto the XP comp as the new user

I assume that you logged into the xp system as the new user local to that
system.

I then created a RDP connection to the server as the new user

In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log
on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account,
run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a
member of the local administrators group on the server. The more
privileged account is also a member of the local administrators group on
all of our workstations. When I need to share data between the xp session
and the rdp session, I typically use a network share that my regular
account has access to, and access it from the xp box. I have not even
tried copying and pasting files between the two sessions because we have
policies against storing important information on the local hard drive of
a workstation, as it is not protected from loss there. In addition, I
frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation
using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be
copied between those applications and anything running under the
credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account
actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just
not through my regular account's view of that workstation.
I opened the shared folder

I copied a file

I attempted to paste it to the XP desktop: paste is ghosted.

As I noted above, I believe that the account you are copying from does
not have the permissions to copy to wherever on the local machine you are
trying to copy to.

I can log onto the XP box as Administrator,

I am assuming as the administrator on the xp box.

and the w2k3 box as Administrator

I am assuming as the administrator on the w2k3 box.

and I can copy from the shared docs folder to the XP desktop.

Perhaps a different mechanism is in effect that allows this to happen. Do
the passwords for the two administrator accounts happen to be the same?

What do I need to do to get this to work?

You would normally assume that an account that is a member of the
administrators group would have the same level of access as the actual
administrator account. I think the problem (assuming all accounts are
local accounts) is still insufficient access. But rather than
insufficient for the w2k3 admin, maybe the xp user (that is a member of
the xp administrators group) needs to have read access to what has been
copied at the server.

I would expect a few issues like this when trying to interoperate between
two computers where local accounts are used rather than domain accounts.
My first suggestion would be to try to make both users at least power
users on the other system workstation. But a simpler approach might be to
use domain accounts.

/Al

"J" <Jnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for your reply.

From your more detailed description it appears that your issue
is not with the server or the remote desktop sessions, but with
the permissions granted to those other accounts on the XP.

I suspected this to be the issue. And I am very unhappy.
I/we are not logging on to the XP client as a different user. Just as
Administrator.

I am not aware if the server admin user has permissions on the XP
client.

I will test, and confirm, and commiserate, about how much more "secure"
I feel from myself.

And so on.

Thank you all

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
From your more detailed description it appears that your issue
is not with the server or the remote desktop sessions, but with
the permissions granted to those other accounts on the XP.

"J" <Jnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for your response

XP remote desktop client

Win 2k3 server host

When logging onto the server from the client as the server's
Administrator user, I can copy files from the shared documents folder
on the server and paste them to the xp desktop.

I have created other users on the server, and added them to the
administrators group.

I use these user to log onto the server from the XP client computer.

Logged on as any of these users I can copy files from the shared
folder on the server to the server desktop,...

I cannot copy files from the shared folder on the server to the the
XP desktop.

All users are listed on the security tab of the shared documents
folder, as is the Administrators' group

All users have the same permissions as the Administrator User, except
ownership.

All the Remote Desktop connectoids are configured the same.

Why can I not paste files to the XP desktop for users other than The
Administrator.

"J" <Jnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sunday

Host: Windows Server 2003

XP desktop: latest version of remote desktop client

Connecting as Administrator allows me to copy files from the shared
folder to my XP desktop.

Connecting as another user does not allow me to copy files.

The users are part of the administrators group, users group, and
the remote desktop group.

What else do I need to do?

I'm not sure exactly, but the information you give seems a bit
incomplete. You mention an "administrators" group, but you do not
say whether that is the one local to the XP workstation or local to
the server. The two computers each have their own set of
permissions.

What do you mean by "connecting as Administrator"? Do you mean
logging on, or are you using the administrator's credentials to map
to a share or access a remote UNC? Whatever the case, the account
that owns the process that is actually performing the copy needs to
have read access to what is being copied from and read/write access
to what it is copying to.

Perhaps if you outlined the steps you are following in a bit more
detail...

/Al

  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... you have risen to an Administrator this would be a given. ... server and run all LOB apps on these. ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: FIRED IT ADMIN HAS LOCKED US OUT OF SBS
    ... Teneo> Interesting post and Im now gonna be a party pooper... ... connections) before cutting power to the server and to the Internet ... If there are no encrypted files, just reset the DSRM account ... and try old domain Administrator account's passwords. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the local administrator's group on that workstation. ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account, run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group on the server. ... In addition, I frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be copied between those applications and anything running under the credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just not through my regular account's view of that workstation. ...
  • Re: Shared Fax device not available anymore after reboot server!?!
    ... the error message one by one to the Newsgroup for accurate research. ... You can send fax by using Administrator account. ... after the reboot of the server no account is able to fax anaymore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows Service - Event Log
    ... I didn't say the Administrator account. ... Administrators group on the local machine." ... I didn't advocate using a member of the Administrator's group; ...