Re: Able to Mount File Share With File Print Sharing Off

"Paul Adare" <padare@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In article <q9udnQYw_u8Ek9nYnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, in the
microsoft.public.windows.server.security news group, Will <westes-
usc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says...

I have a Windows 2003 server where I turned off File and Printer Sharing,
then "shared" a folder in the root of the C: drive and had no problem
mounting it locally as the t: drive. I then went to T: and was able to
view all the files.

Wow, apparently I don't understand this as well as I thought I did. How
is
it possible that file sharing can be enabled and works on a machine where
File & Printer Sharing is turned off?!

Try connecting to the share from another computer on the network.
Connecting to a share on the local computer from the local computer does
not use the NIC so disabling F&P sharing on the NIC will have no impact
on what you're doing.

Thank you, once again, Paul for your sharp eyes.
There was very much hiding in that little "locally" qualification.

Roger

  • Re: Able to Mount File Share With File Print Sharing Off
    ... File & Printer Sharing is turned off?! ... Try connecting to the share from another computer on the network. ... Connecting to a share on the local computer from the local computer does ... Paul Adare - MVP Virtual Machines ...
  • Re: Able to Mount File Share With File Print Sharing Off
    ... microsoft.public.windows.server.security news group, Will <westes- ... mounting it locally as the t: ... Try connecting to the share from another computer on the network. ... Connecting to a share on the local computer from the local computer does ...
  • Re: Network (Peer) drive alias: how to make it stick?
    ... Connecting" object is indeed in "Local Network" on my desktop ... Is there a simple way to reconstruct the "Sharing and Connecting" ... This bit of REXX will recreate it on eCS 1.1: ...
    (comp.os.os2.networking.misc)
  • Re: Leopard Screen Sharing
    ... My mini appears in the MacBook's Finder sidebar. ... Sharing application. ... So go to the Mac mini, open System Preferences> Sharing, turn Screen ... connecting to the server via SSH, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)