Re: Default Shares on Member Servers

Many thanks. I know the shares are the default administrative shares as I
receive the '... permissions cannot be set' message when trying to view the
permissions of the share.

I'll check the other things you mention and post back on Monday.

--
JB

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
Well, something is really toasty here.

If the C$, etc. are indeed the administrative shares, then the
access should be allowed for Administrators only.

A couple things to examine:
1. what is the membership in the Administrators group of the
member that does not require authN ?
2. when you try to look in through the Permissions button for
a drive root's share (in its properties, sharing tab) are you
shown "This has been shared for administrative ... "
(one can shut off admin shares, and then define a C$ that is
permissioned other than expected)

The Logon on over the network user right only determines
what accounts can try to access shares, but the permissions
on each share still determines which of those allowed to try
accounts will succeed.

Also, on the machine from which you are testing that allows
unauthenticated access, make sure that you try this after a
fresh login, that there are no persistent shares, and that running
control keymgr.dll
does not show that there are cached network credentials to use
when accessing the member.

Let's start there, and after the more simple possibilities are ruled
out, then post back.

Roger

"JB" <me@xxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm trying to secure access to our servers. We have 2 domain controllers,
1 windows 2000, the other windows 2003 and 3 member servers, all running
windows 2003.

From a computer that is not a member of the domain, attempting to access
an administrative share on a DC, we are presented with a prompt for a
username and password.

The same computer connecting to an administrative share on a member
server, there is no prompt and the access is allowed.

Our AV software uses administrative shares to update so I can't simply
disable them.

I assumed this had something to do with the 'Access this computer from
the network' policy but this appears not to be the case; The 'Everyone'
group is assigned this permission on the DC's and authentication is
required for those servers.

How can I prevent unauthenticated access to these member server shares,
or even better, only permit Administrators access to the shares?

Do i need to manually create the shares with custom security?

Thanks.

--
JB

  • Re: Default Shares on Member Servers
    ... Are you by chance using an account (i.e. logging into the test-from ... see this if the test to the member is the first thing done after logging ... the local Administrators group contains ... If the C$, etc. are indeed the administrative shares, then the ...
  • Re: Dynamic volumes on WXPP SP2 make folder and file shares read o
    ... In addition, as the problem shows up also for the administrative shares, I ... do not think it is the shares or their permissions that is the problem. ... something went wrong at the conversion to dynamic volume. ... >> user in the Administrators group can open e.g. a Word file other than read ...
  • Re: Default Shares on Member Servers
    ... On the member servers, the local Administrators group contains ... If the C$, etc. are indeed the administrative shares, then the ...
  • Re: Dynamic volumes on WXPP SP2 make folder and file shares read o
    ... with the shares from WNT systems) on DEC Alpha) where the same shares had ... The permissions are the same as before the conversion to dynamic volumes. ... The permissions allow users of the Administrators and the System groups full ...
  • Re: cant get access to disk share when connecting from a remote s
    ... "To set permissions for users who access this folder over the network, ... The origianl script attached here was my ... shares. ... >> account being used to the local administrators group on the DUT. ...