Re: 2k3 standard x64

Totally agree with you, Roger.
But the thing is that it's used as a commercial server with about 300 FTP
users. That's why I think i should use AV.
Installed Norton Antivirus now.. Sad to know of the perfermence-loss, but
what to do about that? I think with that many usesers able to upload files
to the server, I need to have AV.. Or am I just way out? hehe

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> skrev i melding
"Christopher Brandsdal" <christopher@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I'm setting up a new windows 2003 standard edition x64 as a webserver
The server is not in network with other servers or computers.

What kind of antivirus software should I use?

What is there to choose of in x64?
Have looked at Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0, but it looks
like it is for a bunch of client-computers...

Best regards,
Christopher Brandsdal

You may have good reason, but I am curious, why do you feel
that you need to lug a server down with anti-virus? It is not as
if it would be used as a fileserver, and AV does have a way of
hurting performance, so what is cause of the preceived need?
Consider, if the server is used as a server (i.e. no IE/OE) and
content is only promoted in controlled fashion from known
clean machines, how could it get a virus ?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: im being held in memory
    ... How can I harden my computer or server to secure it from hackers? ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: I installed the Windows Live mail and all its "stuff".
    ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ... Problem used to be caused by Norton AntiVirus software. ... I converted over to Windows OneCare Live back in January and never had ... Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail) ...
  • Re: New Server Secure Enough?
    ... > I'm going to run one of my machines as an IIS web server, ... where to get a firewall and antivirus program are all below: ... You can also use the NETSTAT -A command that comes with Windows to look at ...
  • Re: Can not Send Email from a Bellsouth Account
    ... Trend Micro antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail. ... At times I get the error message that my SMTP Server has not responded in 60 ...
  • Re: Advice on antiviral program
    ... > I am running a small network with a Windows 2000 server and 4 workstations ... > all running Windows 2000 Pro. ... for free you get NAV Internet Email ... Below are some free and not-free antivirus solutions, firewall solutions, ...