Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES

Makes sense. I was wondering at your listing XWall but not Exchange.
So this box, so to speak, straddles the wall to the outside, at least with
web and mail ? I am sort of in the same boat as Steve, trying to get a
glimpse with perf metrics and checking hardware health via Open Manage
diagnostics and baseboard logs (I know you mentioned a 2 hr diag session,
but you also said that back then it was not so frequent).

"Mr Durand" <eldocomp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
XWall is my mail relay, handles all SPAM filtering far better than
Exchange does. I've been running XWall for 3 years on this system and
have never had a problem. There has been no abnormal SMTP
traffic/behavior and the 3.34 version was running fine for just over 6
months before I started having this problem. I keep pretty good change
logs and there have been no changes made to the system that correlate to
this behavior nor does it pattern normal updates distributed from my WSUS
server.

Dave

"Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoSpam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
What happens if you take XWall out of the mixture ?
(why XWall at all ? why at 3.34 instead of 3.36 ?)

"Mr Durand" <eldocomp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2550 server running Windows 2003 SP1 and have
strange behavior occurring every 7-14 days. The server will always
respond to a ping however when the problems start, I notice services
start becoming choppy in response and eventually do not respond at
all....when it gets into this state, I cannot access the system with RDP
and the actual system console loses the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen which was
displayed prior to the trouble starting.

The server runs the following apps/services

IIS 6.0
Windows SharePoint Services
MSDE for SharePoint
XWall 3.34

The server is protected by firewall appliances and the event logs show
no signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. A straight 2 hour
Dell hardware diag run reflected no problems on the system whatsoever.

Any idea what direction I can take to resolve the issue? I'm convinced
it is software and maybe even specifically with the lsass engine but
can't confirm without any event entries to go on. This doesn't happen
frequently though it does consistently happen. The server has 3GB of
RAM and everytime I look in on it, it has more than half of the physical
RAM available with normal paging.

I'm stumped....I'll call PSS if I have to but the problem is I can't
force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot.

Dave
Phoenix, Arizona

  • Exchange 5.5 OWA and Outlook 2003 Clients
    ... We noticed we were having trouble with some of the users of Exchange ... OWA installed on a Windows 2k Server all service packs applied. ... Sent a new message to complete the new mailbox creation and logged in ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... XWall is my mail relay, handles all SPAM filtering far better than Exchange ... I've been running XWall for 3 years on this system and have never had ... updates distributed from my WSUS server. ... signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. ...
  • Re: Help with error messages from the server.
    ... Can save you a lot of trouble. ... > we do not use Exchange nor SQL. ... >>> Computer is my Server? ... >>> The automatic certificate enrollment subsystem could not access local ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • external address auto swap problem
    ... Due to the trouble the e-mail address was deleted from the ... The addressbook lists the ... contact as an exchange address. ... the server and tested things with that set of addresses and found that it was ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.contacts)
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... What happens if you take XWall out of the mixture? ... The server runs the following apps/services ... signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. ... and everytime I look in on it, it has more than half of the physical RAM ...