Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES

Does a reboot fix the problem?? Maybe enabling performance monitor logging
for memory and CPU can give you an idea of what is going on. It could also
be a hardware problem such as a flaky power supply or overheating CPU but
those problems are usually not as regular. --- Steve

"Mr Durand" <eldocomp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The only problem is that it is running along fine and then goes out the
window in a matter of a minute or two and this is making it difficult to
see what state the system is in at the moment it starts happening.

Dave

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Does a reboot solve the problem? If so it sounds like you may have a
memory leak on some process. I have not tried it myself but there are
some Resource Kit tools called memmonitor and memtriage that may help
troubleshoot such as shown in the link below. As soon as you experience
reduction in performance be sure to check Task Manager for memory/CPU
usage and it would be a good idea to use something like Process Explorer
from SysInternals to save a baseline of what memory and CPU usage is for
your processes when everything is running well. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

"Mr Durand" <eldocomp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2550 server running Windows 2003 SP1 and have
strange behavior occurring every 7-14 days. The server will always
respond to a ping however when the problems start, I notice services
start becoming choppy in response and eventually do not respond at
all....when it gets into this state, I cannot access the system with RDP
and the actual system console loses the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen which was
displayed prior to the trouble starting.

The server runs the following apps/services

IIS 6.0
Windows SharePoint Services
MSDE for SharePoint
XWall 3.34

The server is protected by firewall appliances and the event logs show
no signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. A straight 2 hour
Dell hardware diag run reflected no problems on the system whatsoever.

Any idea what direction I can take to resolve the issue? I'm convinced
it is software and maybe even specifically with the lsass engine but
can't confirm without any event entries to go on. This doesn't happen
frequently though it does consistently happen. The server has 3GB of
RAM and everytime I look in on it, it has more than half of the physical
RAM available with normal paging.

I'm stumped....I'll call PSS if I have to but the problem is I can't
force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot.

Dave
Phoenix, Arizona

  • Re: for linux, which CPUs are almost always faster than which other CPUs?
    ... Is there any way to find out how to compare two different CPUs for the ... For a *web server*, the main bottleneck is you disk drives / mass storage ... The *second* bottleneck will be memory. ... And then I'll ask someone about comparing CPU A and CPU B, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: 64-bit memory consumption
    ... CPU cores and memory keep pace with each other, ... There is time spent in GC that won't be affected only to the GC cycles, you get indirect hits in the form of poor cache coherency and cache pollution in the code that uses GC'ed memory. ... Desktop CPUs with significantly larger caches aren't there yet, and on a server, your cache is shared by multiple applications, and you can't appropriate it all for your application's purpose without affecting the rest. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Slowly Terminal Server response
    ... physical memory is an indicator of available memory. ... If Task Manager only shows a single CPU graph, then only one CPU is installed. ... A good general guide to keep in mind is that most applications require the similar amount of memory as they would on a desktop for each user. ... I normally start with a general guideline of 25-30 concurrent users for a server with 4 GB of RAM and 2 CPUs and then do testing for a specific set of required applications. ...
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... for memory and CPU can give you an idea of what is going on. ... The server runs the following apps/services ... force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot. ...
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... window in a matter of a minute or two and this is making it difficult to see ... memory leak on some process. ... The server runs the following apps/services ... force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot. ...