CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2550 server running Windows 2003 SP1 and have
strange behavior occurring every 7-14 days. The server will always respond
to a ping however when the problems start, I notice services start becoming
choppy in response and eventually do not respond at all....when it gets into
this state, I cannot access the system with RDP and the actual system
console loses the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen which was displayed prior to the
trouble starting.

The server runs the following apps/services

IIS 6.0
Windows SharePoint Services
MSDE for SharePoint
XWall 3.34

The server is protected by firewall appliances and the event logs show no
signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. A straight 2 hour Dell
hardware diag run reflected no problems on the system whatsoever.

Any idea what direction I can take to resolve the issue? I'm convinced it
is software and maybe even specifically with the lsass engine but can't
confirm without any event entries to go on. This doesn't happen frequently
though it does consistently happen. The server has 3GB of RAM and everytime
I look in on it, it has more than half of the physical RAM available with
normal paging.

I'm stumped....I'll call PSS if I have to but the problem is I can't force
the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot.

Dave
Phoenix, Arizona

  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... What happens if you take XWall out of the mixture? ... The server runs the following apps/services ... signs of any trouble on the system at anytime. ... and everytime I look in on it, it has more than half of the physical RAM ...
  • Re: Bug with Inbox app and POP3 account
    ... I'd like to know if you get the same trouble on a MDA2/XDA2 device. ... when there are messages in the mailbox on the server. ... It seems that when the client sends a ... Messages download with no errors. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition)
  • Re: Bug with Inbox app and POP3 account
    ... I'd like to know if you get the same trouble on a MDA2/XDA2 device. ... when there are messages in the mailbox on the server. ... It seems that when the client sends a ... Messages download with no errors. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: SBS 2008 becomes slow a few days after restart
    ... I don't see a mention of the actual physical RAM installed? ... "Amos Sobel" wrote: ... My server consist of a SuperMicro mainboard using 2x 2Ghz Dual Opteron, ... My server is running Exchange 2007 and Symantec BE 12.5 which has it's ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Trouble with huge amount of State Server Sessions Timed out
    ... State Service or SQL Server can be memory intensive depending on the types ... Trouble with huge amount of State Server Sessions Timed out ...