Re: firewall recommendation

It's sufficient, depending on your security needs. But if you have $600 US,
you might consider something like www.netscreen.com It has much more robust
features, including more improved logging, signature-based intrusion
prevention and intrusion detection, filtering of outbound connections,
bandwidth shaping, reporting, VPN, etc.

The logging features of the Windows firewall are truly terrible. Entries go
to a text file which you open with notepad. No reporting whatsoever, unless
you write and parse your own. It is meant to be good enough for most uses.
I recommend people use the Windows firewall because it is good enough, but
don't expect it to be a fully featured firewall, or else you will be very
very very sorely disappointed.

Programming a firewall with no outbound filtering is just ridiculous.

"Dave" <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> is the 2003sp1 firewall adequate for protecting a machine that is a web
> server to the outside world, and also does file and print sharing for a
> simple workgroup internally? is there adequate configurability to allow
> machines on the lan (192.168.0.*) full access while blocking anything not
> for the web server from the natting router from outside? (the router is
> dumb and has no firewall, just everything coming in gets directed to one
> internal ip) how are the logging features?

  • Re: Cisco PIX 515E vs. Fortinet Fortigate-300
    ... I m getting one Fortigate box soon. ... > Firewall Evaluation ... > Cisco 515E: Cisco is a good company that stands behind its products. ... > advanced intrusion-protection features, including DNSGuard, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... > can't call it a firewall unless it can filter in both directions). ... Far too many antivirus programs operate strictly on known virus definition ... Once in a great while I *do* want the popup - sometimes sites put ... > tool are bloatware filled with features. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: SonicWALL vs. NetGear vs. LinkSys (Pricing/Functionality)
    ... stateful packet inspection, and application proxies. ... Your basic cheap cable/dsl ... other features like VPN's, IDS, extended logging, etc. which many of the ... device with maybe a free or cheap desktop firewall would suffice. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] OT: vendors please respond
    ... 1> Exactly what is this firewall supposed to be protecting? ... A separate IDS? ... 10> Do you need centralized management? ... 1> Features you MUST have. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: When will microsoft show IP adress instead of netbios names
    ... I guess you're not using the latest version of Windows. ... you have the ICF firewall enabled. ... So, when programming a new OS, new features are prioritized and may ... > able to follow up on attacks. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)