Why Are List Folder / Read Data Combined?

From: Will (westes-usc_at_noemail.nospam)
Date: 11/22/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:45:02 -0800

    Why are List Folder and Read Data combined into a single privilege? They
    seem like very distinct things, and I can imagine cases where I would want
    users to be able to see the files inside a folder (List Folder) but I would
    not want them to be able to read data in the files they list. The current
    design of ACLs doesn't let you set a permission in the folder that *new*
    files created in the folder will automatically inherit. Instead it looks
    like you have to set one ACL for the folder and then come and manually set
    permissions for files in the folder. That quickly becomes completely
    unmanageable in a large file tree. You like to have ACLs inherit as much
    as possible.

    --
    Will

    • IIS Routinely Crashes
      ... This issue may occur if you assign improper permissions to ... Set the folder security permissions. ... Read, Read & Execute, and List Folder ... On the Security tab, select the Allow inheritable ...
    • Re: Submission Directory Rights, Permissions and Security
      ... Try giving them just list folder contents and write ntfs permissions which ... should allow them to add files and folders to the submit folder but not ... > We have groups set up for each of the classes of students. ... subdirectories and files without being able to ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: How can I create a new virtual machine?
      ... virtual machine in the new user account. ... account and into the new user account and then copy the new virtual machine ... List folder is useless as each user would have a separate Virtual PC ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
    • RE: Last question about file rights (I hope)
      ... The only way to hide the folder from view is via a third party tool called ... > When I was learning how to setup file rights, ... > users rights at the top level to read/execute and list folder contents. ... > multi-user shared directory in addition to their own home directory cannot ...
    • Re: Server Reports empty
      ... > permissions of the folder: ... > - Local Service Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read permissions ... > - Network Service Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)