Re: Windows 2000 local accounts

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNoSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 11/16/05

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:51:50 -0700

As you noted, system state will give you more than you will
want restored into the new system.
The old fashioned way still works, if the number of groups is
not too extensive.
i.e.
net localgroup groupname1 > c:\grpfile.txt
net localgroup groupname2 >> c:\grpfile.txt
net localgroup groupname3 >> c:\grpfile.txt
etc editied into your dump bat file

The result grpfile.txt then has to get massaged so that
it is a bat file holding a long list of

net localgroup groupname1 /add
net localgroup groupname1 domain\globalgrpA /add
net localgroup groupname1 domain\globalgrpB /add

etc. based on the dumped info altered to define what
was there in the old system.

Today, we dump out the group info with a script, and
then define the groups and populate them with another.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Server : Security)
"Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows 2000 member server in NT domain. I created several local
> groups that contain domain global groups and gave permissions to local
> groups on the directories. The server has some applications that do not
> work
> as expected and I need to format and reinstall windows 2000. I don't want
> backup system state as it includes everything (registry etc). I need to
> backup only the local groups (SAM) and install new windows 2000 and
> restore
> the local groups (SAM) in order to keep the groups with their SID's as
> they
> were before.
>
> Is there any possibility to do that ?
>
> Is it enough to copy winnt\system32\config\SAM and then restore ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Haim

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Disater recover of a DC
    ... -- If the roles is RID master, you can leave it off until a dc requires to ... is sucessful, if so, plug back to aloow new schema replication. ... Don't stoe the system state only on the local ... I generally will only ever perform a system state dc restore for a DC that ...
  • Re: EventID 2103 USN Rollback
    ... I restore the System State backup to the 2103 DC ... let the other domain controller use its "newer" version to overwrite the ...
  • Re: Disaster Recovery - Virtualized environment
    ... Starting an Active Directory domain controller whose operating system resides in a virtualized hosting environment such as Microsoft Virtual PC, ... Starting an Active Directory domain controller that is located on a volume where the disk subsystem loads using previously saved images of the operating system without requiring a system state restoration of Active Directory. ... The only supported way to roll back the contents of Active Directory or the local state of an Active Directory domain controller is to use an Active Directory-aware backup and restoration utility to restore a system state backup that originated from the same operating system installation and the same physical or virtual computer that is being restored. ...
  • Re: disaster recovery
    ... The shortest sequence to restore the entire thing, ... [The assumption below is that you do not have another DC or Exchange server ... you may find that after doing the first restore of System State, ... The worst scenario would be if the older server was such old ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Server 2003 R2 SP1 wacked after updates. Should I restore system state?
    ... Will a system state restore put the DLL's, registry settings, and AD ... updates Monday night. ... screwed the server up. ...