Re: Unknown User Account or Spyware?

From: Steven L Umbach (
Date: 09/12/05

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:23:36 -0500

Roger explained about the unknown account. As far as internet connection you
could run the command ipconfig /all on both of your computers to see if they
are configured the same for preferred dns servers. Possibly the other
computer has another dns server listed in its preferred dns server list.
Keep in mind however that Windows 2003 can be configured as its own dns
server if dns is installed on it and could be required to if it is a domain
controller. It could still resolve internet host names using either by
forwarding to your ISP dns servers or using "root hints". The command
nslookup is also helpful in checking for proper dns name resolution. The
link below contains info on using dns in Windows 2000/2003 server. ---

"John" <> wrote in message
> Hello,
> First off, I am using Win2003 server on a Sony VIO notebook.
> I was trying to delete some photo file from my photos folder and I
> discovered that I did not have permissions to do so. I saw that an
> "Unknown Account" had permissions and that my account the owner of the
> foler/files did not. I just wanted to know more about this Unknown
> User Account? I looked in system/user accounts section but no unknown
> accounts show up there. I have discovered that at least one "Unknown
> Account" shows up under the permissions for at least a number of
> different files/folders.
> How can I block this Unknown account from being created?
> In the past I have had a lot of Spyware that I have cleaned off. At
> least 99%. I also just got Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition 10.0
> and it did not find any viruses, etc. Among using the other standard
> free applications.
> The other mystery is that my internet connection will work fine for
> awhile and then all of a suden stop working. At that moment I can ping
> the router just fine but I can not ping a DNS server, etc. on the
> internet. I have checked with another PC connected to the dlink router
> and at the same time that PC works fine. I also updated the Dlink
> router vto the latest firmware 2.70.
> Any help will be appreciated,
> John

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Enabling" an already enabled user account?
    ... The University's DNS server is the one listed. ... I logged onto the account using another machine ... Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. ... I've tried actually disabling the account and then re-enabling and ...
  • Re: Adding domain users to local Administrator group
    ... You mentioned creating the computer object in the domain, ... account, and so you know the machine is in the domain. ... use the correct DNS server and only DNS servers that ... > on the workstation but I cannot reason out the location or the conditions ...
  • Re: Open Source softwares in FreeBSD for web hosting platform
    ... the source code is clean and easy to modify). ... The bad thing with syscp is that dns server is not ... > admin account, ...
  • Re: Moving machines and users
    ... >i shouldt have a trust issue becasue the domain that i am migrating from is ... > am migrating from has only a secondary DNS server in the entire domain ... >>> member of the AD domain, and the users log on account or user account ... >>> machine account is in is a separate tree ...
  • Re: DCPromo answer file - DNS Problem?
    ... I'll go over these articles again. ... > This DNS server may be a root server as it answered authoritatively, ... > Authoritative name server: Unknown ...