Re: Security?

From: Miha Pihler [MVP] (mihap-news_at_atlantis.si)
Date: 07/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:11:54 +0200

That is something we can't answer for you, but here are some information
that you should think about:

Which operating system do you know better?
Which Web server do you know better and feel more comfortable configuring?

For me Windows is the operating system of choice and so is IIS as Web
Server. I don't have any reservations using IIS 6 as public web server and I
do configure it often for my customers; so far without any problems.
IIRC there were no vulnerability found in IIS 6 since Windows 2003 came
out -- but that will not protect you from e.g. bad configuration or poorly
written application that will run on the web server.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
"ligia pliego" <ligia.pliego@bankarea.com> wrote in message
>  I have a small company and i what to configure a web server internaly.
> Should i use a Win 2003 server with IIS or a Linux with apache. Why?
> Thank ytou in advice.
>
> ligia.pliego@balcanicsoft.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: NT/2000 vs Unix based Web Servers
    ... Both systems IIS and Apache, not to mention Netscape or iPlanet (are ... strips the machine down to being a web server and nothing else. ... in the case of media software from the likes of SUN of SGI then it could ... Admin as well and I have setup load balancing on SGI, Linux, Windows, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • PWS and IIS and W2K Pro
    ... There's a common misconception floating around that Windows 2000 ... Its believed that PWS (Personal Web Server) on W2K Professional is ... Either can be used on a W2K Professional Box which has installed IIS ... install Visual Studio's Visual Interdev. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: Permissions issue from DMZ to local domain
    ... explorer when sitting at the keyboard of your web server. ... The way I would do it, assuming the iis server is not joined to the windows ... > virtual site on DMZ pointing to jpg image on Local domain. ...
  • Re: "Self defense" Attack scripts
    ... For those of you thinking the solution is Apache, or any other web server ... OTHER than IIS, ... Your scope of vulnerability dramatically increases. ... I do think every operating system has ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Problem with ASP.NET
    ... Visual Stodio.NET cannot create or open the application, the likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local web server. ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003. ... Install Internet Information Services (IIS). ... Install Visual Studio components that are required for Visual Studio ...