Re: ACL with group name starting with a #

From: Michel Lapointe (a_at_a.com)
Date: 06/17/05

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:47:42 -0400

That's my guess also...

It seem that the ACL GUI insert the \ to treat the # as an escape character
for some processing but doesn't clean the string before display...

Thank to both of you to confirm my guess...

ML
"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would say it is a bug in the file system ACL editor GUI dialog. It
>doesn't occur in the AD ACL Editor GUI dialog and doesn't occur when
>enumerating the permissions from the command prompt.
>
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> www.joeware.net
>

> Michel Lapointe wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know why does the Folder ACL windows append a \ in
>> front of a group name starting with a #.
>>
>> I know that a # as the first character in an LDAP query is against
>> the syntax, but the previous admin have create the group with this
>> character anyway.
>>
>> Therefore my problem is why when I use a group like #groupname in
>> file security throught the normal File Security Interface, Windows append
>> a \ in front of the name.
>>
>> Repro step:
>> 1. Create a group in AD with a # as the first character
>> 2. Create a new folder and assign Full access to this new group. The
>> name will display properly
>> 3. Close the ACL windows
>> 4. Wait a couple of minutes
>> 5. Reopen the ACL windows. The name will be displayed with a \
>> appended to the name like \#groupname
>>
>> If anyone know why, or know a way to avoid it (it seem to be purely
>> esthetical) without removing the #, it will be appreciated
>>
>> Thank
>>
>> ML

Relevant Pages

  • Re: (character "hi mom") -> ???
    ... ACL, LW, and CLisp have a cow. ... has a cow because "hi mom" is not a character designator. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: XP home administror
    ... No human can guess 11 character ... Windows is never started, so its password ... Data encryption has no bearing upon the discussion of ... > passwords to produce every possible ACL, then use every possible ACL to read ...
  • Re: (character "hi mom") -> ???
    ... ACL, LW, and CLisp have a cow. ... has a cow because "hi mom" is not a character designator. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: ls -lFT output
    ... I understand most of what is going on here but the '@' character has ... Could this be to indicate that this file has an ACL? ... getacl/setacl on your system? ... @ for symbolic links and a | for a FIFO ...
    (comp.unix.shell)