Re: Dear Microsoft... Rebooting servers id NOT security..

From: Duse (dude_at_soft.com)
Date: 05/25/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:58:00 +1000

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:OyKnzNaXFHA.2540@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Duh - that's why you install patches during your companies scheduled
> down/maintenance time. Our company down/maintenance time is Sunday at
> 00:00am through 05:00am, where it makes the least impact on our business.
> Now this philosophy may make the most impact on your weekend, but hey, you
> choose the profession, and that's why you get paid the "big bucks".

<< Thats fine for non-critical updates, and how we do it..
The problem is with critical security patches..

But in any case, the concept of rebooting is simply wrong for a server.

> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "Duse" <dude@soft.com> wrote in message
>> The recent rend for critical patches for win 2003 to require rebooting
>> the server is USELESS!!!
>>
>> Win 2003 is a SEVER, it cannot be continually rebooted and offer any
>> Server level to its users.
>>
>> Additionally the fact that only a partial installation occures ( which
>> leaves the server in a unstable state) is also USELESS...
>>
>> FYI: server are NOT workstations and do not have people sitting at them
>> to monitor and react to your auto updates and installs..
>>
>> Is this truely what you think improving security is....
>>
>> Unhappy..

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 4 patches wont install - 835732, 840987, 828035, 824105
    ... running Win 2003 Standard, joined to domain but not a DC, ... Did find on another post though that if you install kb840315 and kb841533 ... our two servers were upgraded from Windows 2000 Server ... I've been able to install all patches but 4: ...
  • Re: Question about a Windows 2003 server with service problems after applying latest patches
    ... I don't think uninstalling the patches would ... > Windows Update and rebooted the server. ... > several messages about corrupt registry hives that windows would attempt ... > rebooting multiple times but I get the same problems each time. ...
  • Re: SBS 2003 will not boot up
    ... Then I reboot the server BEFORE installing any patches, ... Then I install patches. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: changing root password with Knoppix?
    ... You WILL backup ONLY the files you MUST keep from this server. ... You WILL install all vendor patches before running any services (preferably ... to the Slackware lists alerting me of new patches with the new server ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Help, MS tech support is useless
    ... You need to troubleshoot now and as you go along turn on the services one by ... > It is a DNS server as well. ... > Basically any DC that I install the sp on, craps out once it is rebooted. ... AFter rebooting the server takes forever ...