IPSEC Problems

From: Ludwig Zammit (LudwigZammit_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 05/07/05

    Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 23:30:02 -0700

    I have set up one of my servers with the Server(Request Security) IPSEC
    policy. Any clients and servers (memebrs of the same domain)which had the
    client(respond Only) policy activated used to communicate succesfully with
    this server and any communication was shown correctly in ipsecmon.

    However as of yesterday I started having problems with clients communicating
    with this server. I have enabled Object Access Auditing on the server and am
    receiving event ID 547 in my security event log:

    The failure reason is either "IKE SA deleted before establishment completed"
    or "No response from peer". The failure point is always "Me"

    If i try to ping the server from any machine which has the client(respond
    only) policy enable I get a "Request Timed Out". The Server(Request Security)
    policy has not been modified and hence all ICMP traffic should be permitted.

    I am still receiving sucessful event ids (541,542 and 543) along with these
    error messages. I am not sure if this is a normal behaviour or not.

    If I disable the policies I can succesfully ping the server.

    Any help is appreciated.

    • Re: Security Logon/Logoff Events
      ... the full security audit is enabled by default so that you are ... Right-click Small Business Server Auditing Policy and click Edit. ... SBS 2003 creates a GPO on the DC container named Small Business Server ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Group Policy is now inhibiting the Administrator account
      ... under Group Policy Objects - those are the individual GPOs. ... You can apply any given GPO to one or more OUs, ... I use all of the default security in SBS, ... log on to the server with your own account. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: SBS 2003 Lost all the Security Policies.
      ... Policy or Domain Security Policy it is empty. ... Also your Exchange server is ... Exchange problem in our newsgroup. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] SSH vs. TLS
      ... > frowned upon by network ops and security. ... > - There must be a secure means by which all server keys are distributed to ... > appropriate ssh clients. ... > servers from using expired keys. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Prevented from adding users
      ... but disabling will allow the clients to make a ... connection without the (there is a policy in affect...) message. ... setting I should configure my print server name? ... This policy setting restricts the servers that a client can ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)