Re: EFS Recovery Agent

From: Steven Umbach (n9rou_at_n0spam-comcast.net)
Date: 02/24/05

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:04:34 -0600

You can use the cipher /R command on an XP Pro computer to generate a Recovery
Agent certificate which would be the logged on user. I suggest however that you
create an enterprise CA for the domain even if you use it to issue that one
certificate. It really is not that hard to do. If you want to try the XP Pro
generated certificate be SURE to test it out first to make sure that it works
the way you expect for domain EFS file recovery so as to not lose permanent
access to any EFS files. You can use the efsinfo utility to then view the RA
associated with any EFS files. I believe that existing files will need to be
opened to update them with the new RA or that can be done via the cipher command
from the logged on user for XP Pro. Be sure to keep a couple of copies of the RA
certificate/private key stored in password protected .pfx files in safe
places. --- Steve