Re: Win2003sp1 Firewall "blocks ports for idle services" ???

From: Craig Humphrey (CraigHumphreyHatesSpam_at_newsgroup.nospam)
Date: 01/23/05

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:39:18 +1300

Thanks Steve,

I figured that was the case, but Microsoft does occasionally pull a new
concept out of the hat :)

BTW Thanks for coming back to New Zealand for TechEd2004. Will you be back
again this year?

Later'ish
Craig

"Steve Riley [MSFT]" <steriley@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry about that, I think Peter just misspoke. It's the same code as the
> firewall in XP service pack 2 and it behaves in exactly the same way. It
> allows all outbound traffic. It blocks everything inbound unless:
>
> * the inbound traffic is a reply to some request that went out
> * the inbound traffic matches a port you've statically opened
> * the inbound traffic is for an application that you've granted permission
> to open a port
>
> In the third case, the port remains open for as long as the application is
> executing.
>
> Steve Riley
> steriley@microsoft.com
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just watched the TechNet webcast, with Peter Meister, on
> > "Introducing
> > Windows Server 2003 SP1 - Overview".
> > He mentioned that the Firewall in sp1 "blocks access to ports for
> > applications that are idle".
> > I tried to query him further on this, but I still don't get the
> > concept.
> > His example was of a web server on port 80, when there are no clients
> > connected to it, the Firewall blocks access to the port.
> >
> > Now to me this seems a little odd, since how do you then allow future
> > connections from other clients?
> >
> > Can someone point me at more info? I've googled and use the MS
> > search, but to no avail. This feature doesn't seem to be mentioned
> > anywhere...
> >
> > Thanks
> > Craig

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need help with bandwidth management . . .
    ... also be a good time to separate the wired from the wireless parts of ... wired connections. ... QoS lan port settings, and I cannot get anything consistent. ... switch ports and limit the bandwidth per port (the settings are ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Iptables FTP question
    ... for secondary connections. ... Some ftp servers don't allow passive mode because it is less safe from ... algs that allow port mode for client machines. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Need Help on setting up a small home site.
    ... > told me that I have to open that port and forward request to my ... computer is the first network device. ... connections to port 80, so that they can be routed through to something ... > So if U don't consider it rude to post a long config file here, ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix)
  • Re: Looking for program that emails me when dhcp addr changes
    ... For SSH all you need forwarded is TCP Port 22... ... >>participate in TCP connections or UDP conversations it initiates but ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Polling For 100 mbps Connections? (Was Re: Freebsd Theme Song)
    ... Polling For 100 mbps Connections? ... TCP port 5001 TCP window size: ... on pci0 pci1: on pcib1 ... 0xd0400000-0xd041ffff,0xd0460000-0xd0460fff irq 10 at device 15.0 on pci0 ...
    (freebsd-questions)