Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?

From: Herb Martin (news_at_LearnQuick.com)
Date: 01/08/05

    Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:32:02 -0600

    "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:u1#1vpZ9EHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > I would be concerned about what else that leverages the explorer process
    is now
    > running as admin as well. If you do runas (or my preference cpau) on say a
    > command prompt, only that command prompt and what you launch from it are
    > enhanced. I am not aware of people writing active plugins for the command
    prompt
    > to go off and fire things up that are bad. If you launch some of the more
    > integrated things such as explorer or IE I would be concerned that now any
    > plugins now have the enhanced rights as well.

    You are correct -- this discussion started mainly
    as a warning about the "single instance" and then
    evolved into how to get around that.

    As I said, for me the command line is the preferred
    way to do most anything you can do in Windows
    Explorer and I seldom use it (other than TaskBar and
    Start Menus.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    >    joe
    >
    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > Roger Abell wrote:
    > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Interesting Herb, I really did miss your point.
    > > While I have used taskmgr before to kill off,
    > > and/or respawn Explorer, it had never occurred
    > > to me to try this route to get Explorer running in
    > > alt security context.
    > > I commonly will have a cmd window open in the
    > > alt context and use it to launch whatever it is that
    > > I next need.  However, never having been logged
    > > in as X but having Explorer running as Y, I am now
    > > sitting here thinking about its issues and just how it
    > > would actually play out.  Guess I have some new
    > > experiences ahead :-)

    • Re: Windows Explorer
      ... In addition to presenting the user with the ability to navigate the file system, explorer.exe will read file association information from the registry and employ the appropriate executable file to launch the selected file. ... I think the primary reason for wanting to launch an application using explorer is to offer the user the interface. ... I included the file name to open in the command line and it opens the ... will open an instance of Windows Explorer and allow you to navigate the file ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
    • Re: Cant Delete File
      ... If this is an AVI file it is because Explorer goes looking into the ... A way to handle it is to r-click in the Task bar and take Task Manager.. ... Also have All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt open, ... Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies) ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Favorites not working
      ... Can you launch a favorite correctly by double-clicking it from Windows ... MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer ... >the C:\ directory where the favorites are stored. ...
    • Re: moving, deleting & Rename Files
      ... Another approach is to stop Windows Explorer, ... Open a Command Prompt and CD to ... Task Manager windows on a blank desktop. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
    • Re: HOW TO DELETE TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES
      ... > andyarch andyarch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hunted and pecked:- ... > I'M OPERATING WITH WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 WITH SERVICE ... open command prompt from accessories menu. ... enter to get back explorer. ...