Re: Being logged on as admin and user at the same time (in XP)?

From: Herb Martin (news_at_LearnQuick.com)
Date: 01/07/05

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 00:06:11 -0600

> Interesting Herb, I really did miss your point.
> While I have used taskmgr before to kill off,
> and/or respawn Explorer, it had never occurred
> to me to try this route to get Explorer running in
> alt security context.
> I commonly will have a cmd window open in the
> alt context and use it to launch whatever it is that
> I next need. However, never having been logged
> in as X but having Explorer running as Y, I am now
> sitting here thinking about its issues and just how it
> would actually play out. Guess I have some new
> experiences ahead :-)

I am not a big user of Explorer (e.g., the browser as of
course I use the Toolbar, Taskbar, StartMenu's etc.) so
I tend to do what you do and work the credentials
from an alternate command line.

What I would really prefer is an Alternate Desktop
and there used to be some working code from the
Dev Kit that I used in NT(3.51 ?? or 4???) but I
cannot find it now.

Of course you can put something like Virtual PC
on the machine for this but that is overkill for just
switching/isolating context.

The advantage of such schemes is you can get
two truly isolated logons concurrently and it
really does meet the requirements of the initial
question.

Plus it is relatively easy to have different
background colors and even color schemes
so that it is always clear which "User" is
current.

Each should be screen saver lockable etc.

--
Herb Martin
> > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > > FYI  Due to the single-instance hooks of Explorer it is
> > > impossible to RunAs the Explorer app; so Explorer is
> > > always the account used for initial login.
> > >

> > No, that was what I was describing, i.e., the issue
> > you mention and the work-around for it:
> >
> >     (Optionally RunAs this) Open command prompt
> >     Stop (using taskkill or taskmgr) Explorer
> >     Runas Explorer
> >
> > When you do this the instance of Explorer is NEW
> > and so you get the RunAs context.
> >
> > I actually do it the Optional way where my CMD
> > prompt is RunAs then anything I start from there will
> > be in that context (assuming it is a new instance.)
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> Interesting Herb, I really did miss your point.
> While I have used taskmgr before to kill off,
> and/or respawn Explorer, it had never occurred
> to me to try this route to get Explorer running in
> alt security context.
> I commonly will have a cmd window open in the
> alt context and use it to launch whatever it is that
> I next need.  However, never having been logged
> in as X but having Explorer running as Y, I am now
> sitting here thinking about its issues and just how it
> would actually play out.  Guess I have some new
> experiences ahead :-)
> --
> ra

Relevant Pages