Re: User Memory Quotas

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:04:12 -0700

Noop, but good question.
I have not found public info on this, but the mention of the
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840342
(TS in W2k3 edition at least) reg values in the
ccs\control\Session manager\memory management
reg key sound real close to the ones controlling the heap.

You may need to open a support incident with PSS if this
has high impact on your environment.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
"Bomber" <Bomber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I read all the documents that you listed.  I also have an issue with the
> memory management.  Mu issue revolves around article 184802, cause 2.
>
> My server is Windows 2000 (all versions).
>
> The appllication I run enables me to reduce the heap value from the
default
> 512 to 128.  Which enables 160+ applications to be ran.  However this
> cripples other appilcations such as our Network backup.
>
> It seems the solution is to change the 'system-wide buffer of 48Mb
> (user32.dll)', how can this be modified?
>
> Regards
>
> Richard
>
> "Roger Abell" wrote:
>
> > Hey, check this ancient KB out
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156484
> > as it indicates that (then) perl multithreaded apps were known to
> > show desktop heap leaks if processes terminated prematurely.
> >
> > Anyway, I had to poke around as the being hard wired seemed
> > unlikely - undoc'd maybe, but hardwired no.  I think this little
> > bit of info published for terminal server may be the light . . .
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840342
> > I would be pretty cautious about fooling with this until you have
> > determined that it is not actually a misbehavior that is causing
> > excess heap consumption, and until you have figured answer to
> > the next  . . .
> >
> > However, notice that your issue may be the number of desktops
> > consumed, making you run of the buffer pool, rather than any
> > one desktop running out of its allocation.  In fact, this might
> > seem more likely given some of what you have said about that
> > wall you run into.
> > For IIS specific issues take a look at
> > cgi apps in IIS pre-v6
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217202
> > conserving desktop consumption in IIS 6
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831135
> >
> > Other related KBs uncovered :
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142676
> > which indicates use of the third SharedSection parameter to limit
> > size of a non-interactive desktop heap allocation
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318677
> > mentioned if only because it confirms that "You cannot check the
> > usage status of the desktop heap while an application is running"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;126962
> > very old, mentions how NT3.5 had a much smaller heap allocation
> > than did NT 3.1 (same as what is now current) in order to "increase
> > performance".  My gosh, did them walk this as a linked list !!
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows  Security)
> > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
> > "Bodger" <jbrown@jlbprof.com> wrote in message
> > > Hmm, something bothers me.  Although this is likely our problem, it
> > > seems hard to believe that their is a fixed size "system wide 48 mb
> > > buffer" that all desktops are allocated from.

> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Expanding heap with GCC
    ... there is no more space in the heap, a system call is performed to ... In small embedded system the stack and heap share the same RAM ... not overlap the heap and the heap allocation should check that it is ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Heap question
    ... on the heap if you split data up into 5K packets. ... but not for heap allocation. ... memory management. ... What hole do you think you can fit a 5GB of objects into? ...
  • Re: OT: I am driving a Timo car
    ... ...his Volvo 740 Turbo, H reg, about 94k on the clock. ... Already christened The Heap by ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)