Re: Block HTTP remote access

From: warren bailey (wbaileyIHATESPAM_at_NOSPAMgony.net)
Date: 12/17/04

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:56:50 -0900

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about. But one thing that I've
been able to do is restrict ports from certain machines.. Set on your
firewall a deny from certain ip address's on 443 (SSL) and it should be
fine.. Another thing would be to just deny ALL https traffic FROM the
software maker

word
//warren
> You might try to track down the process that they use to do such on a
> computer and track it back to the executable used and set deny permissions
> to that executable or disable the service if it is installed as a service.
> Task manager or free tools from SysInternals such as Process Explorer,
> TCPView, and Autoruns may be able to help you track this down. Other
options
> may be to block the URL at your firewall [if it is capable of that] or
call
> then and tell them to give YOU a new security code for that option that
> would deny the other users access since they do not know the security
> ode. --- Steve
>

> "Sherra Duran" <sistergirl0816@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I am a tech director at a local school district. We are using software
for
> > our lunches etc. The software company has an option of offering online
> > assistance through their software, using HTTP. I didn't realize this
> > option
> > was available until one of my Staff let me know that this software
company
> > was assisting her with troubleshooting the software. She would select
the
> > utilities-->technical assistance option and it would direct her to an
> > https
> > webpage and she would input a security code and give the software tech
> > full
> > control of her PC.
> >
> > I am addressing the lack of communication between this staff person and
> > the
> > tech department.
> >
> > I have told the company to NEVER use this option with our school. I
have
> > instructed the users to NEVER use this option.
> >
> > How can I block the https service that offer remote assistance?
> >
> > I have tried to block the individual IP address with no luck. They use
> > redirects that run off of their main IP address. For now, I have block
> > the
> > main IP address, but we do need to access the main website for
> > downloads/patches to their software.
> >
> > Is there a general way to block this service all together?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Block HTTP remote access
    ... >I am a tech director at a local school district. ... The software company has an option of offering online ... > How can I block the https service that offer remote assistance? ...
  • firewall/proxy question
    ... The Squid that was installed from ports doesn't seem to see https: ... this appears to be normal behavior since https: ... 00049 allow tcp from <filter machine IP> to any ... 00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Site and Content Rules blocking SSL
    ... At least you need to separate HTTP with HTTPS because ISA does not ... parse the 'Path' statement of given destination set for HTTPS requests. ... if you deny all IP traffic to the 'somehost.net/somepath/*' this will deny ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.enterprise)
  • Re: cant access CUPS through browser
    ... Deny From All ... Allow From 192.168.1.* # to access from another PC on the LAN ... for all local interfaces. ... https is preferable to http; ...
    (Debian-User)