Re: not been granted the requested logon type

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNoSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 11/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:30:46 -0700

To access a shared folder a user needs the Log on over
the network (or similar wording) user right.
This is granted in the User Rights section of group policy
(in the computer tree of settings).
This is usually granted to a group that is minimally
sufficient to cover the accounts that should be allowed
the logon type 3 (network) login right.
You may want to remember to readjust the share and
NTFS permissions if you have loosened them trying to
get this working.

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA,  MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
"Mike" <mhopper27@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hello,
> i am at the end of my rope.  i don't know why this is happening.  I shared
> a folder on a win 2000 server.  but i cannot get to it.  i keep recieving
> the error " the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this
> computer". i can see it if i log on to the domain as administrator but not
> as a user.  i don't think a should have to make the user account on the
> domain a member of the administrators group on the local 2000 server
> machine to have it access the folder, but that is the only way i can get
> it to work! where the heck am i going wrong.  i never had this problem. it
> must be something i should know but sure can't think of it.  i shared the
> folder, opened everything up in the permissions and under the scurity tab,
> and the advance. still no go. is it the dc? thanks a bunch, mike.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters
    ... server because I can publish the same web site over the same connection using ... past told me they don't know anything about Publisher). ... When I ADD NETWORK LOCATION, I get "folder ... Per you suggestion, I tried to Add a Network Location in "Computer", ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: "you might not have permission to use this network resource"
    ... Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you> have ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on ... When I attempt to access a private folder or a public folder ...
  • Re: HELP ME PLEASE! Very bad performance of file sharing
    ... I ran the Microsoft Network Monitor on both machines and ... folder contents from Server. ... File Monitor showed no activity (perhaps folder contents are read ... On the client File Monitor showed explorer.exe reading the folder. ...
  • Re: HELP ME PLEASE! Very bad performance of file sharing
    ... I have opened Command Prompt on the client and ran "dir" command on the ... It took exactly the same time to retrieve folder contents as ... When I selected all files in the network folder and ... folder contents from Server. ...
  • Re: DNS Resolution
    ... > seperate the backups from the rest of the network. ... I'm sure this is something with DNS ... Lookup Zones folder, and then click the folder for the local domain. ... Note If the server is a global catalog server, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)