machine account authenticating to a SQL server as anonymous

From: Anthony LaMark (anthony_at_eXcSoftware.com)
Date: 11/04/04

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:26:47 -0800

Hi All,

We have a customer who is using our application and is expiriencing a
behavior we haven't seen in the field yet. Our application is a WMI Event
Provider (so it is part of the WMI service which is running as the
LocalSystem account) running on a Windows 2003 Server (Standard Edition)
that needs to open an ODBC connection (using NT Authentication, NOT SQL
authentication) to a SQL Server running on a different Server. In this
setup, we have customers add the machine account as an SQL user and then
within the specific database, have them give the machine account select,
update and delete authority on the specific table we need access to and
everything works great. Trouble at this particular customer is that on the
SQL server, we see an anonymous user login instead of the machine account
login (that we normally see). Does anyone have any theories as to why this
is happening? Thank you very much for your valuable time.

Anthony LaMark
www.eXcSoftware.com

Relevant Pages

  • LocalSystem (i.e. machine account) authenticating to a SQL server as anonymous
    ... Our application is a WMI Event ... we have customers add the machine account as an SQL user and then ... Trouble at this particular customer is that on the ... SQL server, we see an anonymous user login instead of the machine account ...
  • LocalSystem (i.e. machine account) authenticating to a SQL server as anonymous
    ... Our application is a WMI Event ... we have customers add the machine account as an SQL user and then ... Trouble at this particular customer is that on the ... SQL server, we see an anonymous user login instead of the machine account ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: same application on multiple schemas
    ... As for the "comparison" with Sql Server, it was not intended to ask ... why Oracle does "not" support sql server behaviour:) I know oracle (I ... For every customer that will use our application, ... will use schema "SchemaA" ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: same application on multiple schemas
    ... As for the "comparison" with Sql Server, it was not intended to ask ... why Oracle does "not" support sql server behaviour:) I know oracle (I ... For every customer that will use our application, ... will use schema "SchemaA" ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: Index for username/password
    ... say that users want to be able to define customer ... A username in a login table is a little different. ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)