Re: Recover Administrator account

From: Steven L Umbach (n9rou_at_nospam-comcast.net)
Date: 11/02/04

    Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:46:02 -0600

    If it is the "domain" admin password then hacking the local sam of a domain
    controller alone will not work but the link I provided does show how to
    recover the domain administrator account also which I tired once on a test
    network and it did work. For Windows 2000 non domain controller you can also
    rename the sam account from outside the operating system [using parallel
    install/ntfs boot disk/hard drive in another computer] and reboot the
    computer which will create a new sam with the administrator account having a
    blank password. The downside of that is you will be left with only default
    users and groups. Strange that the built in administrator account is
    disabled as I have never seen that on Windows 2000 for a local keyboard
    logon. It can be disabled in Windows 2003 but if you boot into safe mode it
    is available. The link below also has more tips. --- Steve

    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#password

    "Niklas" <niklas127@yahoo.se> wrote in message
    > Strange, I took the SAM file and the SYSTEM file from the backup and I see
    > that the administrator account is disabled. How could it get disabled.
    > Well,
    > I didīnt get the first NT offline password changer working. See if I can
    > get
    > some other tool working.
    >
    > "Niklas" <niklas127@yahoo.se> wrote in message
    >> I have a backup of the server, Canīt I restore the registry or what will
    > not
    >> work?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Niklas
    >>
    >> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > See the link below for tips on how to do such which require full
    > physical
    >> > access to a computer. --- Steve
    >> >
    >> > http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    >> >

    >> > "Niklas" <niklas127@yahoo.se> wrote in message

    > because

    • Re: Hacked Workstations
      ... Domain computers still have a local sam and the user will be allowed to gain ... >> For reasons beyond my control we have to give the students the ability to ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • kerberos!
      ... they are simply using sam IP addresses range) ... Administrator account has same password on both ADs. ... taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Recover Administrator account
      ... > recover the domain administrator account also which I tired once on a test ... For Windows 2000 non domain controller you can ... > computer which will create a new sam with the administrator account having ...