Re: Possible to grant additional rights to a built-in group

From: Christian (badeanden_at__no_spam_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:45:06 +0200

Thanks for you reply.

I am aware how to delegate authority and how to use the various security
policies ... in my own opinion, at least ;-)

Delegation and security plicies does not help me here, I am affraid. I need
to assign additional access rights to a built-in group (DHCP USers) already
granted to another built-in group (DHCP Administrators). My problem is that
I don't have a clue what those rights are for the DHCP service and where
they are assigned. I am pretty sure it is not delegation issue, though.

I have assigned my test users Full Control everywhere I can think of
(OU/NetServices/file system etc.), but unless I assign the to the
Administrators or DHCP Administrators group, they still get "Access is
Denied" for all the actions in the DHCP console.

Cheers,
Christian

> You can manage user rights in the appropriate security policy such as
> domain/local/OU. For instance open Local Security Policy via secpol.msc
> and then go to security settings/local policies/user rights to view the
> user rights that can be configured. For an Active Directory domain you can
> "delegate" authority to users/groups for many administrative tasks. The
> link below explains in more detail. --- Steve
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/delegsteps.asp
>
> "Christian" <badeanden@_no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to grant additional user rights to a built-in group?
>> How can I see what the currect access rights are and to what objects they
>> apply?
>>
>> I am trying to enhance the capabilities of the DHCP Users built-in group
>> to allow my HelpDesk perform minor adminitrative tasks without adding
>> them to the DHCP Administrators built-in group.
>>
>> Any pointers are greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christian

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Delegate rights in AD?
    ... where the security delegation is to be performed ... This will extend the Delegation wizard to support an enhanced list of ... Create your own security groups and use the delegate control wizard on the ... I have to delegate some rights to the teachers: ...
  • Re: Delegate Control question
    ... 235531 Default Security Concerns in Active Directory Delegation ... "It is important to note that the Delegation wizard does not provide ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...
  • Re: Possible to grant additional rights to a built-in group
    ... manage DHCP. ... AD delegation would not help for DHCP administration. ... > need to assign additional access rights to a built-in group ... > already granted to another built-in group (DHCP Administrators). ...
  • Re: Secure shared web hosting using MAC Framework
    ... run the web server and web users shell in a jail, ... Those rights should have priority on any traditional unix file ... This directive allows you to disable certain functions for security reasons. ... Web users and executed web scripts shouldn't be able to read ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • [Full-disclosure] =?utf-8?q?CORE-2007-0928=3A_Stack-based_buffer_?= =?utf-8?
    ... Core Security Technologies – CoreLabs Advisory ... Stack-based buffer overflow vulnerability in OpenBSD’s DHCP server ...
    (Full-Disclosure)