Certificate template modifying

From: schapman (sean.chapman_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: 23 Sep 2004 13:51:51 -0700

I set up a windows 2003 server and am trying to use it as a
Certificate Authority. I gave it a name, put it on the domain, and can
issue certificates with no problem. However, I'm trying to modify a
certificate template so that I can disable the option to mark keys as
exportable. When I try and load up certtmpl.msc, I get the following
error:

Windows could not create the object identifier list. This computer is
not joined to a domain. Certificate templates are not available.

I don't really understand whats going on here as the computer is on
the domain. I tried uninstalling the certificate authority, taking the
machine off the network, re-adding it, and re-installing the
certificate authority but I get the same issue. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Also, is there a way to have it so that certain people requesting
certificates can only request a specific template while having other
users be able to pick any they want?