Certificate template modifying

From: schapman (sean.chapman_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/23/04

Date: 23 Sep 2004 13:51:51 -0700

I set up a windows 2003 server and am trying to use it as a
Certificate Authority. I gave it a name, put it on the domain, and can
issue certificates with no problem. However, I'm trying to modify a
certificate template so that I can disable the option to mark keys as
exportable. When I try and load up certtmpl.msc, I get the following
error:

Windows could not create the object identifier list. This computer is
not joined to a domain. Certificate templates are not available.

I don't really understand whats going on here as the computer is on
the domain. I tried uninstalling the certificate authority, taking the
machine off the network, re-adding it, and re-installing the
certificate authority but I get the same issue. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Also, is there a way to have it so that certain people requesting
certificates can only request a specific template while having other
users be able to pick any they want?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Enterprise Certificate Authority question
    ... Certificate Authority is a service that comes with Windows 2000 or ... Windows 2003... ... Company usually decides to setup their own CA when they need to protect ... Certificate templates - ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: removing Windows 2008 DC after demotion, time for ntdsutil
    ... Getting autoenrollment failures for certificate enrollment of new clients. ... it was a cert server. ... Also, if you need to remove a CA (Certificate Authority) from the domain, Please read the following related articles: ... How to remove manually Enterprise Windows Certificate Authority from Windows 2000/2003 Domain ...
  • Re: Remote Web Workplace Stopped Functioning
    ... When I changed our certificate, I found that I had to go into add/remove ... components and make sure certificate authority was enabled. ... SBS and inside the ISA server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Removed MS Cert Authority
    ... hours and will add an entry in the App log and System log. ... Domain Controller certificate. ... Silverback is the name of the Certificate Authority I installed for testing ... Authority and removed the server from the domain approx 3 months ago. ...
  • Re: [OT] The PGP Signed Posts Farce
    ... Much like a credit card or a driver's license, a certificate is a form ... web sites offering specialized services that require a means of ... certificate authority and following the on-screen instructions. ... Public/private key pairs and the PKI. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)