Re: Directories on windows 2003 server always read only??

From: James (flatrel_at_comcast.net)
Date: 08/01/04

Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:45:17 -0400

the way it is setup is a public directory with security set to Full for 3
accounts that need
the ability to create folders to that public share. I left share permissions
as default(Full-Everyone).
although these are only domain users, as a test, I made one of them member
of the domain admin group(which by the way is a member of local
admininistrators on the server) and local admins have full permission
to this public folder.so logged this user out and back in and he still could
not create folders-as domain admin.
-J

"Paul Adare - MVP - Microsoft Virtual PC" <padare@newsguy.com> wrote in
message news:MPG.1b768a46a15b6bdc9899c3@msnews.microsoft.com...
> In article <410e5c76.923013282@msnews.microsoft.com>, in the
> microsoft.public.windows.server.security news group, Jeff Cochran
> <jeff.nospam@zina.com> says...
>
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:40:55 -0400, "James" <flatrel@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Can anyone help with this. I have a 3 winxp pc network on a domain
with 1
> > >windows 2003 server. It is the domain controller w/Active Directory. I
have
> > >set full permissions on a directory for my users and they can also map
fine
> > >to it fine.Problem is they cannot create new folders or files in the
> > >directory. They get access denied. I checked the permissions, they are
fine,
> > >however the directory is READ ONLY. I remove this and it reverts right
back
> > >to read only.Why is this happening and how can I prevent it?
> >
> > Stop using the CD as a folder to create other folders in. :)
> >
> > This is not a default setting for Server 2003 on a normal drive.
>
> Actually, it is, though the OP is referring to the folder attribute and
> not NTFS permissions when referring to "Read only". Having said that,
> read only on a folder does not, in any way, affect one's ability to
> write to that folder.
>
> James, are you sure that you've set _both_ the share permissions and the
> NTFS permissions correctly? Simply setting Full Control on the share is
> not enough as the default NTFS permissions are not going to allow your
> users to write to the shared folder.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> rights.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Block AOL Inst. Messenger???
    ... and usb ports are disabled in cmos if they are not needed. ... installed The other main thing to do is to tighten up ntfs permissions. ... Other folders added to the root folder since installation should probably ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Creating "Home" dirs via script
    ... But share access is only half the story; what NTFS permissions ... This script can be "wrapped" in another to create MANY home folders at ... If doesFolderExist = 0 then 'If Folder does not exist, ... Set ace = CreateObject ...
  • Re: Block AOL Inst. Messenger???
    ... > administrator access. ... > installed The other main thing to do is to tighten up ntfs permissions. ... First on the root folder of each ... > Other folders added to the root folder since installation should probably ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: some files are not accessable in shared folder in home network
    ... If you're familiar with NTFS permissions, check 'em yourself and adjust as necessary. ... they're on the Security tab when you right-click on a file or folder and choose Properties. ... computers that have to go to that folder on the primary computer,.. ... It is strange because of the hundred or so .exe files in that folder, ...
  • Re: Security and Permissions
    ... > Yes I am including the NTFS Permissions. ... > User Joe appears only in Group1 ... > share AND that the NTFS of the Sub Folder overrides the ... >>administrators full control and users change permissions ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)