Re: What are the legal ramifications for hacking a messageboard server

From: Roger Abell (mvpNOSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 06/30/04

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:09:56 -0700

The answer differs by country. Also, it is often nearly
impossible to establish a sufficient chain of ebidence to
enable prosecution.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4)  MCDBA
"Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I was recently the victim of a hacker obtaining private profile
information
> from a well-known public figures messageboard. The owners have promised to
> ban the individual responsible if he can be determined, but I think this
is
> far too light. Compromising a server in order to obtain personal
information
> strikes me as something that might be illegal (and, if not, it SHOULD be).
>
> If it is illegal, I would like for them to press charges.
>
> Does anyone know the law on this?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cannot delete directories
    ... as XP closes handles in a lazy fashion. ... Roger Abell ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ...
  • Re: Gpo & Terminal users
    ... >> How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services Servers: ... >>> Roger Abell ... >>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Runas command
    ... Roger Abell ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security) ...
  • Re: Access is denied in XP Home Edition
    ... and for Home you do this in a Safe mode boot. ... Roger Abell ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: ...
  • Re: "view source" doesnt work!!
    ... Roger Abell ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security) ...