Re: SERVICE group

From: Marin Marinov (mlmarinov_at_askme.ca)
Date: 06/09/04

    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:15:51 -0400

    In article <ukTKdNaTEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Bill.Gates@sun.com
    says...

    > Does anyone have any info or links to info about the built-in group named
    > "SERVICE". I'm talking about the built-in accounts like SYSTEM, NETWORK,
    > INTERACTIVE, etc.
    >
    > I'm just trying to read about this group and find out when this gets
    > assigned to an access token.

    Hi Marty,
    This is a new security principal the purpose of which is to run services
    in its context since it has far less privileges than System. You'll
    notice that some services (e.g., Alerter) that don't require much
    privileges run under "Local Service",i.e. SERVICE.

    Membership in all these "special identities" is maintained by the system
    based on user actions.For example, when you log on locally you become a
    member of INTERACTIVE, while if you access a file share via the network
    you become a member of NETWORK. For more information on what each of
    these groups represents, search Help and Support Center for "Security
    identifiers: access control".

    HTH

    --
    Cheers,
       Marin Marinov

    • Re: w2k unjoin old / join new domain trouble
      ... but that WILL move the PC into a workgroup and most likely ... I have an old w2k workstation which was a member of a domain called ... no way to hook the computer up again and unjoin the domain. ... the network and assign it an IP address. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
    • Problem with Win2k-boots slowly & hangs...
      ... I have a small peer to peer network of win2k machines (and one XP ... Dim strUserName ' Current user ... ' Read the user's account "Member Of" tab info across the network ... ' Given a Dictionary object containing groups to which the user ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Script causes win2k machine to hang on start??
      ... I have a small peer to peer network of win2k machines (and one XP ... Dim strUserName ' Current user ... ' Read the user's account "Member Of" tab info across the network ... ' Given a Dictionary object containing groups to which the user ...
    • Re: SERVICE group
      ... > you become a member of NETWORK. ... run under Local Service, i.e. ... all security principals that have logged on as a service. ...
    • Re: Problem with domain name
      ... Single DC on the network. ... So I tried to add the member with this name and it worked. ... properties, under active directory on the DC, etc. ... It sounds like the DNS domain name is 'local" and the NetBIOS domain name ...