Re: Registry Boo-boo

From: Sarah Tanembaum (sarah.tanembaum_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 00:10:22 -0400

Roger, thanks a bunch. I did restore the INF and everything seems to work
as before.

Since I never back up my server, I thought that I have to reinstall it
again.

Thanks again.

> Choice one = restore system state backup taken just before
> you made the changes.
>
> When you removed your change from HKCR you evidently
> propogated down changes which have removed access to
> Users members.
>
> Can you recall exactly what it is that you did in the reg
> premissions at root of HKCR ? so that you can reverse ?
>
> Else, review technique outlined (for XP Pro) here
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313222
> tempered by the warning for W2k3 here
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816585
> about NOT applying Setup security.inf
> If you edit down Setup security.inf to the lines
> in the registry section that deal with HKCU
> you could then flip a coin and decide to do it.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Sarah Tanembaum" <sarah.tanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I've somewhat screw up my Windows 2003 server. It began when I tried to
> add
> > a new group, e.g. ACT , to have a write permission on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
> >
> > It turns out that it did not help so then I remove back that group from
> it.
> >
> > Then I rebooted the machine and then when I log in as a regular Users,
> > actuser, it did not show anything in my desktop. It seems that the
> EXPLORER
> > services is not running. I tried with other user, and it resulted the
> same,
> > no EXPLORER - blank screen.
> >
> > Then, I make actuser as member of Administrators, then it work.
> >
> > Can you help me out what should I do now to restore it so regular user
can
> > login and have EXPLORER running.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > What should I do

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Registry Boo-boo
    ... Roger, thanks a bunch. ... I did restore the INF and everything seems to work ... Since I never back up my server, I thought that I have to reinstall it ... >> Then I rebooted the machine and then when I log in as a regular Users, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: Registry Boo-boo
    ... Roger, thanks a bunch. ... I did restore the INF and everything seems to work ... Since I never back up my server, I thought that I have to reinstall it ... >> Then I rebooted the machine and then when I log in as a regular Users, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Registry Boo-boo
    ... > Roger, thanks a bunch. ... I did restore the INF and everything seems to work ... >>> Then I rebooted the machine and then when I log in as a regular Users, ... >>> no EXPLORER - blank screen. ...