RestrictAnonymous keeps resetting itself

From: Shurp71 (shurp71_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/05/04

Date: 5 Apr 2004 09:34:43 -0700

We have a 2000 server/domain controller with NT thru XP client
workstations. After a recent service pack update the NT machines were
locked out. We tracked it down to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\RestrictAnonymous
registry being default set to "2" (we set it to "0" and the problem
disappeared). A couple days later the NT machines were locked out
again because the RestrictAnonymous reset to "2". Changed it back to
"0" and all was fine. It happened again this morning.

So I started looking at the Local Security Policy MMC Snap-In.
Effective policy settings are set and greyed out at "No access without
explicit anonymous permissions"... Local policy setting is at "None.
Rely on default permissions" (I am able to change that setting).

What am I missing here?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How do I prevent anonymous null sessions in XP? (reposted from 10/29)
    ... There are still policy settings, ... section prefixed with "Network Access:" ... > authenticated connections which I need. ... > changing all the local security policy settings available ...
  • Ntwk policy settings prevent ... WinUpdate
    ... When some of my Win98SE machines on my Win2000 LAN ... try to run Windows Update, ... "Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Shutdown privilege
    ... can set a number of local security policy settings. ... privilege just by moving machines between OU's. ... >> same functions as the NTRIGHTS.EXE SeShutdownPrivilege ...
  • Sharing Favorites and Deploying Policies.
    ... There is NO AD or Domain available, all of these machines are ... Stand-alone. ... I want to add shared favorites. ... The other thing is policy settings. ...
  • Re: Pro-passwords
    ... Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy ... I have 3 machines at> home - 2 with XP home and the third with XP PRO. ... I> usually go into the control panel -> user accounts->create> password->restart machine. ... I'd like to get it to stop asking me to> renew a password function that's not in use. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)