Re: What is a local logon?

From: Ken Schaefer (kenREMOVE_at_THISadOpenStatic.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:01:54 +1000

news:%23HKR8AOFEHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > : BASIC (and digest) is always a local logon -- you hand your username
: > : and password to the web server which logs on as the you (locally.)
: >
: >
: > I thought Digest Authentication worked the same way as IWA. With Digest
: you
: > hand your username, and a hash of your password to IIS. IIS passes this
: > the Domain Controller. DC performs the same hash, and determines whether
: the
: > hash matches the one stored in AD. If they match, appropriate token is
: sent
: > back to IIS.
:
: That's what I said. Digest is similar to basic, except for the protection
: of the password.

Um, no. You said Basic and Digest are the same. I'm saying "isn't Digest the
same as IWA"?

With Digest, IIS has the username and password. With IWA IIS only has the
username.

Cheers
Ken

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to troubleshoot 401 error when connecting using NetworkCredent
    ... digest auth only works against domain accounts by default - ... the same result when connecting to a WebService hosted in IIS. ... If I configure my client to use explicit credentials as follows: ... digest authentication, then everything works. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: What is a local logon?
    ... You said Basic and Digest are the same. ... Right, and with Basic, like Digest, IIS has both username and password but ... and a hash of your password to IIS. ...
  • Re: What is a local logon?
    ... You said Basic and Digest are the same. ... IIS has the username and password. ... With IWA IIS only has ...
  • Digest or integrated authentication failure
    ... Isolated domain to run IIS and Sharepoint service sites ... XP workstations = Digest and Integrated Credentials work fine ... 2003 Servers = Digest and Integrated Credentials work fine ...
  • Re: Manual hashing
    ... No such claim appeared in my posts. ... As usual with hash functions, ... digest is shorter than the message. ... I spoon-fed the detailed steps to find preimages of any hash. ...
    (sci.crypt)