Re: Security Template Problems

From: David Everett [MSFT] (deverett_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/17/04

    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:16:22 -0600

    Not a problem. I shouldn't have assumed your workstations were on XP.

    If you have SP4 installed on your DCs you can open the Group Policy and
    select Add/Remove Templates > click Add and select System.adm. If the
    System.adm is newer than the current one go ahead and Replace. See if this
    helps the "access to resource..." error. Once the adm file is replaced try
    setting "Remove Run menu from Start Menu" to "Not Configured", click Apply
    and then set it right back to Enabled and click Apply.

    After the policy change replicates to all DCs make sure to log the user off
    and back on and verify you can access mapped drives.

    --
    David Everett
    Microsoft Corporation
    "Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I've set the new UNC path for the wallpaper, so I'll see if that sorts it
    > out.
    >
    > As for the rest, is it possible to do it without XP? Maybe download an
    > update for 2000 or something? Its just we don't run XP here, the company
    > standard is 2000. If not I'll look into buying a version, or maybe getting
    > trial version I can do it from.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "David Everett [MSFT]" <deverett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Instead of pointing Users to P: drive for their wallpaper you should use
    > > UNC like \\server\share\wallpaper.jpg
    > >
    > > If the P: drive is slow to map they will not get wallpaper.
    > >
    > > "Access to resource P:\ has been disallowed" could be due to the
    > system.adm
    > > file having been overwritten within the policy by an older version.
    From
    > > Windows XP SP1 machine open mmc > File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add >
    Group
    > > Policy Object Editor > Add > Browse... > Expand the OU containing the
    > policy
    > > you want to edit > select the policy and click Finish > Close > OK.
    > >
    > > Right-click Administrative Templates and select Add/Remove Templates >
    Add

    > > select System.adm from the XP machine's local INF folder.  Say Yes to
    > > replace the existing file.
    > >
    > > Edit the policy from the XP machine.
    > >
    > > First, set "Remove Run menu from Start Menu" to Not Configured and apply
    > the
    > > policy.  After logoff and back on verify you can access the drives.
    Edit
    > > the policy again from a Windows XP machine and set "Remove Run menu from
    > > Start Menu" back to Enabled.  Reapply the policy again and verify the
    > drives
    > > are still accessible and that Run is removed from the Start Menu.
    > >
    > > Group Policy does not provide a method to force appearance.  It enables
    > you
    > > to lock down access to Control Panel and other areas so that these
    changes
    > > cannot be made by users.
    > >
    > > To change settings back to a default you may need to look at scripting
    the
    > > changes you want applied to all users who were allowed to change the
    > default
    > > settings.
    > > --
    > > David Everett
    > > Microsoft Corporation

    > rights.
    > >
    > > "Ben Blackmore" <bjblackmore@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I imported the securews.inf security template into a test group
    policy,
    > > > after testing I've found a few settings that I think I need to change,
    > but
    > > > not sure which they are.
    > > >
    > > > 1. We set which wallpapers users get on their desktops, these are
    > located
    > > on
    > > > our public drive (p:\wallpapers) all users have full control over this
    > > > drive. After applying the security template, some users wouldn't get
    the
    > > > wallpaper, just a blank desktop.
    > > >
    > > > 2. We map 3 drives on the users PC via a log on script, P: (public) H:
    > > > (home) and T: (templates), if the users go to my computer they can
    > access
    > > > the drives, however if you enter the drive in the address bar (p:\ or
    > h:\
    > > > etc) it says
    > > >
    > > > "Access to resource P:\ has been disallowed"
    > > >
    > > > This even happens on the C:\ & D:\ drives. I've been searching the
    > > microsoft
    > > > support pages and I found this, which
    > > > looks like the problem I'm getting
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q250915
    > > >
    > > > It says to install the latest service pack for IE 5.01, however the
    > > machies
    > > > this is happening on are running ie6 with all service packs installed.
    > Is
    > > > there any other work around for this?
    > > >
    > > > Also is there anyway to set a users desktop appearance? Some have
    > changed
    > > > their font type, and toolbar colours!
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > >
    > > > Ben

    • RE: ADM Templates not updating
      ... Reset the system ADM: ... Please open Group Policy Editor on SBS ... Extend to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Drive Redirection + Group Policies...
      ... which all the normal users are members of. ... The "Do not allow drive redirection" policy is DISABLED in the admin ... Group Policy Management Console. ... see the local drives or nobody does. ...
    • Local Group Policy - Novell mapped drives problem
      ... file name length of Novell mapped drives. ... Policy, all drive mappings done via server- ...
    • Re: GPO not working (yes, another post)
      ... For the first part of the answer, I'm going to take group policies out of the equation for a moment and just give a brief overview of how Windows "sees" mapped drives. ... Now I'm not just talking about preferences here....the following applies to all group policy settings. ... Now it won't matter which machine the user logs into, that setting will apply because it is a user setting. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: GPO not working (yes, another post)
      ... For the first part of the answer, I'm going to take group policies out of the equation for a moment and just give a brief overview of how Windows "sees" mapped drives. ... Now I'm not just talking about preferences here....the following applies to all group policy settings. ... Now it won't matter which machine the user logs into, that setting will apply because it is a user setting. ... I found that if I linked the GPO to the ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)