Re: revoke change permissions?

From: Derek Melber [MVP] (derekm_at_braincore.net)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:30:09 -0700

Not that I am aware of. However, there is a checkbox that can change
ownership of all folders and files to a certain user in the Owner tab of the
Security properties. Maybe this can help you with your issue?

--
Derek Melber
University of Phoenix Online
> Is there a way that I can cause ownership of files/folders to be assigned
> the Administrator Group instead of the user -- when it is the users who
will
> create the files???
>
> "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> wrote in message
> > David,
> >
> > You can't use the Effective Permissions as the end all of the
> configuration.
> > It is wrong in many cases, especially when you start to use complex
group
> > structures.
> >
> > It sounds like you are correct in setting up Deny to Change Permissions
> > the group that should never have this ability. The only catch is to make
> > sure they don't have Ownership of the folder/file, since ownership gives
> > them the ability to do anything to the file.
> > Hopes this helps.
> >
> > --
> > Derek Melber
> > University of Phoenix Online
> > Faculty Candidate
> > dmelber@email.uophx.edu
> > "David Taylor 806@ hotmail.com>" <mcp916<removethisremovethistoo> wrote
in
> > message news:%23DPpzZsBEHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > I have a shared folder on a Windows 2003 server, and a Domain Local
> group
> > > which I will add groups of users.
> > >
> > > The domain local group has been given full control minus Change
> > > Atributes/Extended Attributes, take ownership, and Change Permissions.
> In
> > > addition, the Domain Local group has been assigned the Owner role.
> > >
> > > We do not want users playing with atributes or security settings.  The
> > > folder will hold files and folders created by and to be modified and
> > deleted
> > > by all members & group members of the new Domain Local group.
> > >
> > > When I view the Effective Permissions for the group, Change Permission
> is
> > > present.  I even tried denying it, removing the Creator/Owner, denying
> > > creator owner and the group.
> > >
> > > Is there a proper way to make it so the users can access the files but
> not
> > > modify permissions?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > David Taylor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Explorer owners column shows SID instead of name
    ... Right click on the root folder of the drive and do the usual to get to the Security tab and the option to take ownership of the files and select to "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". ... If you have several valid owners on files on the drive and if you only want to replace the owner on the specific SID use the SubInAcl tool, ... But I also see files and folders all over the machine for which the displayed user is somebody's SID instead of the friendly name. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: folder ownership rights etc.
    ... one "takes ownership" of an item, ... which confers power to change permissions, ... There's no reason for XP to be more ... |> Now I will copy selected folders fron the Toshiba drive to my main ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Folder Access
    ... Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ... ownership of. ... In the Change owner to box, ... > trying to open these folders (just used for storing data ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to take ownership
    ... When you take ownership at the parent folder be sure to select the option to ... replace owner on subcontainers and objects also. ... do damage with the powers of a domain administrator account. ... >network storage folders. ...
  • Re: disabling private folder option from my documents on external driv
    ... Logon as administrator and change permissions to what you want it to ... If you can not do that you will first need to take ownership of those ... folders being sure to select the option to replace owner on subcontainers ... it and has the My Documents folder set to Private. ...